Author Topic: Where to Live  (Read 2645 times)

GardenGerald

Re: Where to Live
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 11:47:04 AM »
Morning Townie
Would that be with lodgers or prostitutes.
Take care
Gerald.

townie

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 11:07:45 AM »
Morning Gerald I think your lodgers would be prostitutes.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »
The average price for a 3 bedroom house in the Birmingham B11 Sparkbrook area is 141,157.00. The average price for a 3 bedroom property in Birmingham is  147,775.00. not much difference there!

I can't see any of the any of the last three comments being of any help to what I assume is a genuine enquiry, neither do I think that it reflects well on the forum.
Make Love Not War

GardenGerald

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 10:14:44 PM »
Phil
Just being honest. The good person looking for somewhere to live needs to be pointed to better places, the last time my wife and I drove through that area the girls were standing on the street corners. Whats Highter Heath Like.
Good Hunting
Gerald.

townie

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »
There are lots of comments on this forum that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual thread.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 11:35:39 PM »
That being the case the case Gerald, then what was wrong with you just warning the gentleman of your misinformed opinion. Having spent a part of my young life being brought up in Sparkbrook it was never known as red light district no more than any other district in England that has a large population of single immigrant men.

It was it's neighbour Balsall Heath that had the bad reputation, but even there was never as bad as the press would have you believe as this was another area I lived in and only certain roads were known for it's nocturnal illicit goings on.

From what I hear and read now, and I still have relatives living in the area, the vice trade has virtually been stamped out in both these areas, not that I believe that, it's probably just been driven out of the public eye. Though that's better than nothing as it's supposed to be the worlds oldest profession so I don't think Birmingham is ever going to take the credit for stamping it out.
Make Love Not War

pat11

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 03:40:29 PM »
Edgbaston was another area known for prostitution and yet its one of the most expenses places to live in Birmingham.!!
Kindness is the best feature

townie

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »
Some streets in Edgbaston are beautiful with their Victorian and Edwardian houses. Years ago their streets must have been paved with a higher grade of gold.

GardenGerald

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
Hello Pat11
Edgbaston and Moseley do have some very nice properties with their own private parks but they are expensive and the person looking
for a house would be able to afford them. The person wanted a nice area to live in where they could feel safe. That anywhere in the UK
takes some finding if you have a limited budget.
I am proud to say I am a Brummie but very upset to see how it is now, Everytime someone is going to improve things it seems to get worse.
The damage and destruction by HS2 will be another nail in the coffin. On another forum one person said so what and does it matter if people
have to move even if they are elderly. I suggested a meeting to discuss these issues but for making this suggestion was banned from that forum.
Phil is very loyal to Birmingham and thats great but when we read reports about Birmingham they often do not make good reading.
Prostitution is a very big problem throughout the UK. The number of people involved is increasing, look at he work charities do trying to help people caught up in this business. A rcent report about Birmingham said the problems now were wide spread across the city.
I really do wish the person well you wants to move to Birmingham but take time and look at the area in the daytime and late evening.
Gerald...Everyone work together, sort out the poblems and get back to old fashioned values.

pat11

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:20:36 AM »
Birmingham is no worse than any other big city.  I haven't seen any evidence of street corner prostitution in donkeys years.
It was driven out years ago.  If there are massage parlours they are well hidden, never seen one myself.   Most of the lap dance places that opened when the craze first started have closed.  Birmingham has a lot going for it.  The City centre and Grand Central Station could rival anything in the world and will be even better once the Digbeth area has been renovated and the canals on the eastside opened up. I think you have got entirely the wrong idea of Birmingham as it is now Gerald.   
Kindness is the best feature

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 11:36:05 AM »
Pat

The main trouble is people who moved out of Birmingham years ago who even though they may not have moved their own volition at the time have come to believe every thing the read & hear about Birmingham. Myself after visiting almost every large city in the UK find it certainly no worse that any that I have visited, and definitely better than most.

Birmingham is a major conurbation obviously there is going to be much more going on here than in some little backwater town, isn't that why all the people head to the major cities, obviously not all of what is happening is wanted or desirable, but there again the media outside Birmingham have never had a good word to say about our city, but we are used to such things now and accept that everybody is entitled to their opinion, as wrong as it may be.
Make Love Not War