Author Topic: Burdens Cream Ices  (Read 3422 times)

Burdens ice cream

Burdens Cream Ices
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:39:14 PM »
hi everyone!

I just made a post somewhere else but thought I'd post it here too...

Basically I'm the daughter of one of the owners of Burdens Cream Ices, an old Brummell ice cream manufacturer. I noticed we've been mentioned on here a couple times and I just wanted to say how lovely it is to be remembered...

To put the record straight a bit... the business originally grew from my nan's homemade ice cream, which my grandad, Norman Burden, loved so much he decided to turn it into a business. The family were grocers at the time, but then moved out into a factory built by grandad by the corner of ladypool rd and Albert rd. we also had another factory on alcester street in town where we made the long tip top lollies, inventing the first with two flavours in one lolly. Then after that we had to move into a bigger factory in oldbury as we needed to expand.

Unfortunately that's where things went wrong. Contrary to what has been said on here, we were not bought out by Walls but instead the business was devastated by a massive fire in 1990. It's a very poignant part of my childhood and my family lost nearly everything as a result. It's such a shame after all the hard work of my grandad, a very kind and generous man who was quite a figure in Brum in his own right. But it's also lovely to know that all that he, my nan, mum and uncle did, making the business together as a family, has also been warmly remembered by our fellow brummies.

Take care! :)

P.s my great uncle also owned a shop near by called 'the shop that sat on a bob', literally because he dropped a bob in the foundations

Teddygirl

Re: Burdens Cream Ices
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:41:56 PM »
hi. I remember your grand dads  icecream shop so well. I was born in oldfield rd in 1943. when I was young I had to fetch mom and dad their cornet and wafer. mom would break the bottom off her cornet and make me a midget ice cream. your grand dad would give us some of the broken
 ones that he couldn't use. ohhh happy memories, and it's true it was the best ice cream I ever tasted.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »
Hi Burdens ice cream,  I knew of the family business when it started from the grocery shop at the bottom of Oldfield Rd and before it moved across Ladypool road to Alfred Street. I remember in Oldfield Road that you were served through a hatch in the shop sometimes you had to wait until a new batch of ice cream was made so on hot days when there was a queue you could wait quite a while, but it was worth the wait.

The Shop That Stands On A Bob was at 139-141 Alum Rock Rd and was listed to George Burden seems to have ceased trading in the mid 60's and is not listed again until the beginning of the 70's as Hodges & Sons House Furnishers.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

daverock

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
Hi My Mom worked at Burdens for some years & I remember well Norman Burden, Mrs Burden & a few others who worked there. My Mom celebrated her 100th Birthday last week. I was in the shop a lot & I used to spend a bit of time either under the counter or upstairs & I can remember Norman making the fist batch of Strawberry ice cream as up till then you could only get Vanilla, I loved the smells when it was being made also remember young Norman & Patricia(who must be about my age now) Lots of happy memories there.

maud

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
Loved Burdens ice cream. We lived in Clifton Road and the ice cream was our Sunday treat. Am I correct in thinking we needed to supply a basin for it?

My Dad

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 08:21:50 AM »
Hello Burdens Ice Cream

Sorry I only just replied. I only just came across your post.

My dad used to be a ice cream van driver for Midland Counties and he would get his supplies from Burdens so thank you for this, however it was before i was born so i don't know much details about the company (hardly none in fact lol). I have posted on another part of this website just what I know from family as I want to keep my dad's memories alive. He had a brilliant sense of humor and was very loving and kind. Everyone he met loved him and he will be sadly missed

There's actually a post from someone working at Shababs 163-165 Ladypool Road and they would like to know whether Burdens Ice Cream shop was initially that same building with some old photos. This post when scrolled down the page can be viewed at: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14031.new;topicseen#new

Hopefully you will be in the position to respond as been as the topic first started at least 120 days ago.

Thanks and take care

john griff

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 12:52:56 PM »
hi ,,,,,daughter of burdens ice cream family please would you  contact me,,re recipe of the famous ice cream, warm regards john griffin

StoopLookListen

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 05:33:41 PM »
Hi can yoou message me please  ?

john griff

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 04:08:07 AM »
looking for info about burdens ice cream, i ideally want recipe  can you help....john griffin,

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy