Author Topic: McGauleys shop Sparkhill.  (Read 6816 times)

dougmcgill

McGauleys shop Sparkhill.
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »
Can anybody remember the fabulous toy shop by Sparkhill park on the Stratford Road opposite Formans Road.
Also there was another similar shop by the Rialto Cinema in Hall Green also on the Stratford Road but I can't remember it's name.
This would have been in the early 50's

Spud

Re: McGauleys shop Sparkhill.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
Remember McGauleys on Stratford Road well bought my Dinky Toys from there. Then there was Meccano and Hornby train sets  for Christmas. Had my BSA Tour of Britain Bike 10 speeds with a double chain wheel from Macs . They had a Pram Shop opposite we bought our eldest daughters pram from there a blue Silver Cross. MaGauleys also had a shop on Coventry Rd almost opposite Green Lane.
As regards the shop near The Rialto I can't really recall that one but there was an excellent sports shop nearby Eric Willmots.
PS I sold my BSA Bike to buy my future wife an engagement ring.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

dougmcgill

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
Yes that's right it was Eric Wimotts shop.
Thanks

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »
McGauleys shop Sparkhill at 700 Stratford Rd between Thornhill Road & Foremans Road not a shop I ever used as it was not in my local shopping area, but here it is in 1973 next door to Levines Furniture shop.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maltablue

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 10:11:54 AM »

Used to be a McGauleys in Kings Heath.

Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »
It seems that McGauleys had a few shops scattered around Birmingham as this extract from the 1956 Kelly's Trade Directory demonstrates. The only one I can ever claimed to have used would have been the one Great Lister Street (see photo). Even then it would only have been for a new chain link or puncture repair kit as I never owned a new bike in my life.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GardenGerald

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
Hello Phil
Is the shop in Alum Rock Road the one they had across the road from the Fox and Goose, Ward End. It sold real quality items.
Like you Phil never had a new bike.
Take care
Gerald.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »
Hello Phil
Is the shop in Alum Rock Road the one they had across the road from the Fox and Goose, Ward End. It sold real quality items.
Like you Phil never had a new bike.
Take care
Gerald.

This is another shop that I have no knowledge of, but it would have been a little way past the Rock cinema on the same side. The Rock cinema and St Saviours School were located between numbers 34 & 40 Alum Rock Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »
Hi all, would McGauleys have been next to Wilmotts sports shop? I have vague memories walking past Wilmotts with my mom and into a shop next door to buy one of Brittains farm animals. The place was full of toys, this would have been 1960/61[/size]

My uncle Ken lived in the flat above Wilmotts early 60's. The old gent in the next door flat had fought in WW1, had been made deaf by cannon fire and wore a leather glove on his left hand to hide some horrible burns from an explosion. I remember the Rialto being demolished and MacFisheries supermarket being built on the land.     

Spud

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »
Looking at Phil's listing of MacGauleys and from my own memories I am pretty certain that Macgauleys did not have a shop next to Wilmotts I have lived in the area for over 70 years and cannot recall it . In fact I am fairly sure that a Solicitor had the premises next door for many years
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »
In 1940 Eric Wilmotts 1049 Stratford Rd was described as a toy shop on the one side of it was a butchers shop on the other it was Cubley Road. In 1950 it was described as a Sports Outfitters next door was a butchers shop. in 1960 was the same but the next door shop was photographic supplies. In 1970 nothing had changed.

In none of the years I checked was there a McGauleys shop nearby.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy