Author Topic: McGauleys shop Sparkhill.  (Read 6810 times)

countrylad

Re: McGauleys shop Sparkhill.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
Thanks Spud and Phil, I wont stray off topic here but I think I know why I thought there was a toy shop next door, judging by the shop street numbers and image on google, Wilmotts might have had two entrances. I know the first entrance near the corner was sports stuff, the entrance further down may have had toy section. As a 4 year old, it just felt like I was going into the shop next door. 

GardenGerald

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
Evening All
Perhaps the shop across from the Fox and Goose had an address  in Stetchford Lane.
Toys downstairs and Prams upstairs. The upstairs had very large windows and you could see the prams where ever you where at that junction.
Best wishes
Gerald.

GardenGerald

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »
Hello
Was there another shop of this type called Roadleys in Birmingham.
Gerald.

townie

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 12:06:12 AM »
Gerald there was a pram shop called Roadleys Great Lister Street.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

countrylad

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 08:52:03 AM »
Morning all, there was also a big toy/bike and ? pram shop on the Coventry Rd, long gone now but on the theme of a McGauleys. It was in the Sheldon area, around about number 2341 Coventry rd, corner of Wells Rd. I think 'Wheelmania' were the last business to be on the same site.

I cant remember the name of the shop  (Does anyone know the shop?) but remember having my first bike from there. A blue BSA with 20inch wheels and stabilizers (far too big for me). We lived in Williston Rd, Sheldon at the time.

I can also remember Dad talking to the guy in the shop about the hire purchase on the bike, and the balance that had to be paid. I was confused by the conversation as Dad as had told me the stabilizers were for 'my balance'. How young minds work!

Apologies if this doesn't fit with McGauleys but thought it worth a mention as would a shame for this shop to be forgotten.   

Spud

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
Roadleys was also on Stratford Road but in Sparkbrook  between Palmeston Road and Walford Road
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Moseley Man

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 12:13:01 AM »
They had an old Rover UDA 44

cocacolakid

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
I had my Dawes Double Blue bike from J.P. Mc Gauleys in Kings Heath, in the late 50s. They also had a small shop on the Stratford Rd in Shirley.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

maltablue

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »
cocacolakid.  Ditto my first " racer ", was a 5 speed Dawes, from the same shop in Kings Heath in 1960.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

cocacolakid

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
cocacolakid.  Ditto my first " racer ", was a 5 speed Dawes, from the same shop in Kings Heath in 1960.

maltablue..

My Dawes was a Christmas present in 1957.  McGauleys had a wide range of Dawes racers.  My school mate had a Dawes Debonair from them.  I worked at Dawes in Tyseley in the early 70s, on cycle assembly, I only lasted a couple of weeks before giving my notice in. The repetitive work was driving me crazy!!

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

maltablue

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »
cocacolakid. Good bikes, but weighed a ton compared to bikes to day. Wanted a bike from Tommy Godwin's, in Silver St,. But the pennies did stretch that far.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy