Author Topic: McGauleys shop Sparkhill.  (Read 1734 times)

DaveJB

Re: McGauleys shop Sparkhill.
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 08:48:18 PM »
Evening all,

We lived in Bissell St from '52 to '57,  just around the corner in Sherlock ST(??) was our newsagent, also called Mcgauley's.  Their son was a cabinet maker.

Dave

Jacko

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
Evening all,

We lived in Bissell St from '52 to '57,  just around the corner in Sherlock ST(??) was our newsagent, also called Mcgauley's.  Their son was a cabinet maker.

Dave
McGauley's newsagents used to be in Macdonald Street between Rea St and the bridge (river rea) to my certain knowledge until 1951 about fifty yards from Bissell St and opposite the shop was Stans Hairdresser. I'm not saying they didn't move to Sherlock St it's just that your post revived a memory for me, regards, John.

DaveJB

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
Dead right Jacko!

Had this funny feeling during the night that it was Macdonald St.  Rest of your info is also correct.  Odd how one little contact wakes up umpteen memories.

Thanks for the update

Dave

BrummieGeoff

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 06:18:11 PM »
The larger McGauleys shop was opposite the one shown in Reply #3 i.e. on the same side as Oakwood Road. It burned down sometime in the 1960's. I can remember looking through the remains hoping to salvage something that wasn't too badly damaged. Didn't find anything though.