Author Topic: Wakelin's Street Guide  (Read 2884 times)

julia ashfield

Wakelin's Street Guide
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
I have found in amongst some old stuff of my Dad's a funny little book called Wakelin's Street Guide  of the City of Birmingham.  It is bound with blue cardboard and there is the logo of Tate and Lyle Sugar on the inside plus the message "Save this carton for salvage"

Now, all the streets are numbered and listed, but there is no map, so I can't see what use it could be to anyone! 

Any ideas?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Wakelin's Street Guide
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:35:48 PM »
Hi Julia

I think the idea of a Wakelin's Guide was to give you some idea of the location as didn't they give the location of every street listed,  and also the postal district?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

julia ashfield

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
Hi Julia

I think the idea of a Wakelin's Guide was to give you some idea of the location as didn't they give the location of every street listed,  and also the postal district?

Oh, I see...Here is an example:-- 22 Foden Road, Beeches Road, PB.

Would they have been used by delivery people for example?  My Dad was a lorry driver before the war, maybe he used it for his job?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 05:53:26 PM »
Well Foden Road is off Beeches Road Perry Barr, but the postal district is B42  so I don't know where the 22 comes in but perhaps it's changed over the years.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jacko

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »
Well Foden Road is off Beeches Road Perry Barr, but the postal district is B42  so I don't know where the 22 comes in but perhaps it's changed over the years.
Not just delivery drivers, all Birmingham Ambulance drivers were issued with a copy up into the 1970's to my certain knowledge.  Your copy appears to be fairly old as it gives, in your example, Beeches Rd as B'ham 22 in Perry Barr not as is now Gt Barr, regards, John.

julia ashfield

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:26:10 AM »
Unless you had a basic knowledge of Birmingham, it still looks pretty confusing to me.  It's interesting that the ambulance drivers used them. 

Thanks for that, John.

Malvernian

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:55 AM »
My dad used one in the 60s - you looked in the guide for the street you were after - it told you which street it was off - if you didn't know where that was, you looked that one up and so on, until you found one that you did know.

Malvernian

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »
That's it - brings back a few memories! - thanks for the pic.

julia ashfield

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
My dad used one in the 60s - you looked in the guide for the street you were after - it told you which street it was off - if you didn't know where that was, you looked that one up and so on, until you found one that you did know.

Thanks Malvernian.  I understand now.

My Dad's version is much older and tattier and I am guessing it dates back to very late 1930's or immediately pre-war.  He went in the RAF in 1941, but was a lorry driver before that.  If I can work out how to upload a picture, i will.

Malvernian

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
You can buy the one pictured in roy-one's post above - for sale on eBay - $12 plus $7 shipping - from India of all places.

My dad went in the RAF in 1942 and was a lorry driver before that - and he did drive a lot around Brum after the war!

julia ashfield

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
You can buy the one pictured in roy-one's post above - for sale on eBay - $12 plus $7 shipping - from India of all places.

My dad went in the RAF in 1942 and was a lorry driver before that - and he did drive a lot around Brum after the war!

My Dad drove lorries in the RAF...carting radar equipment round Burma and India.  After the war he married my mom and went to work at the BSA among other things.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy