Author Topic: Garden Waste Collection  (Read 1485 times)

Spud

Garden Waste Collection
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:23:20 PM »
I have just been informed that our Birmingham Labour Council are increasing the cost of Green Waste Collection from £35 per year to £40. Surely this will only increase the problem of Fly Tipping. All 30 Park Keepers are to go. Stopping cutting  20% of all grass in Parks and Public Spaces, reduction in the number of shrubs and flower beds in parks and on the highway [eg Roundabouts] by 50%. Stopping funding of all Planters and baskets [Where's our mate Gerald when we need him].

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Garden Waste Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:39:32 PM »
Spud

I haven't read about this, even though it won't affect me I have to say I think it all depends on what you want to put first garden services or public services though I have to say I have never rated Birmingham Council be it led by whatever party.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
Hi Phil
It was  in a leaflet pushed through our front door yesterday by one of the Local Councillors the same leaflet was bemoaning the amount of money 'Being spent on external consultants'

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
Spud

Birmingham Council has always been well known for the amount of money it's spends on consultants. Think back to when they employed a consultant public relation firm whilst having their own department for that sort of thing. What did this company who had never set foot in Birmingham do, they had hundreds of thousands of leaflets printed headed by a roofline panorama photo of Birmingham, the trouble being the photo was of Birmingham USA.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
Most of the roundabouts down here are done so that they don't need much attention, there are some that have flower beds on them.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

maltablue

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »
Our garden collection is £25 this year a rise of £5 on last year ( County Durham ). It's ironic you have to pay for your garden waste to be collected. The council in turn SELL it to a third party who turns it into compost. Which you in turn buy for your garden.
 Why is it that the council/s income from this sale never shown on their budget statements?
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »

I make compost out of my waist I have three bins it take about 12 months to rot down but it give me good clean compost and I dig that back in to the garden so it cost me nothing
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »
Down here everyone was issued with a big compost bin, some use them other don't.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 04:41:45 PM »
Yes I compost some of my Garden Waste but I just do not have  that much room so as much as I baulk about paying to have the rest taken away every 2 weeks and of course some of my cuttings from shrubs and small trees are too big to compost so having those collected is a little bonus.

maltablue

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »
frederick, not as lucky as you, No freebies up here, saying that you do pay more for the collection, so it might not be free after all.
 ;) ;)
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Akatarawa

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »
One of the best investments I made around 25 years ago was an electric shredder.  All branches below about 1" diameter and all woody stuff and leaves get shredded to make mulch.  Bigger branches are cut up and go into the wood bin for the fire.. Kitchen waste is composted, grass clippings are left to be re-absorbed into the ground. No green waste ever goes down the tip.

I shred broad bean stalks, they compost down much faster then.

The hardest plant to dispose of is the New Zealand flax https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax_in_New_Zealand.   The fibres are too strong to be shredded or mown.  So if a flax plant needs to be removed, they  usually get dumped in the bush at the top of the garden for a few years until it has decomposed.

Everything here grows at twice the rate of in the UK, blink an eye and the bush has advanced down the garden.

No Kiwi should be without a chainsaw :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy