Author Topic: Post office and stores portway  (Read 5078 times)

Andy Capp

Post office and stores portway
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
Has anyone any Photoshop

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Post office and stores portway
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »

hi andy
                the post office and store on the portway was called tandys   that was in 1957  before the new road was made

this is the best I could come up with

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Andy Capp

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »
Hi Roy One. Thanks for the photo. Sometime ago I managed to get a photo of the same building in the 1940s online but lost it. The reasons I'm asking is because my uncle owned it in the 1940s until 1948s then sold it & moved down to Cornwall. The photo I had showed the building at that time. Thanks again Andy

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
ok andy  ill keep looking

Spud

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
The Photo posted by Roy is actually The Portway Italian Restaurant I used to use regularly it was a favourite of ours. The Restaurant went into liquidation last October and closed its doors on October 26th 2016 for the last time. It had been open for something like 33 years run as a family business by an Italian Husband and Wife . The Husband died around 5 years ago his wife carried on with business but over the last few years which the clientele dropped off .A pity really they did some lovely meals in particular Sunday Lunch it was like a sort of a club everyone knew each other. I had my own favourite music played whenever we visited. 
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »
Andy

It's a little outside my collection area, but is this what you are looking for here?

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22685/photos#h_ff_2=&n=FPN&m=API&s=

Click on the photo and it will enlarge.

Also I think this is the same photo today (attached) please forgive me if I'm wrong but I really haven't a clue about this. The only two places I know out that way are the place that belongs to the group of vets that I use that was once an Italian restaurant until my old hairdresser Roger bought it and turned it into a café. And the other being Pavilion Commercial vehicle spares that was run by John Sheldon better known as Tex.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 08:30:57 PM »
Excuse my ignorance I thought I knew Birmingham, but where is Portway?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Spud

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »
Phi's photo is actually the Khados Boarding Kennels on Alcester Road Portway
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »
Spud

Isn't that the same place? It looks like the same place on the link that I placed, but as I said I'm in the dark here.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »

hi spud
                the photo that I put up is now a restaurant but it was in days gone by   was the post office and store and in the 50s it was owned by a mr and mrs tandy  and the store was called tandys  I know this for sure because we had a family member who lived in penn lane and tandys was the nearest shop

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »
Is this or is it not a photo of the old Post Office at Portway if it is then I'm quite sure that the modern photo I posted is the same building today. If it is the place that Andy is looking for then he will be able to purchase a print of the photo online. If this is confirmed as being the correct place I will later delete this photo as it might well be a contravention of copyright laws and it's certainly a contravention of forum advertising rules.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy