Author Topic: Spice all St and High St  (Read 1612 times)

Billwalkey

Spice all St and High St
« on: March 08, 2017, 11:42:24 PM »
i see from some old maps that Spiceal St went up the left side of the Bullring to New St, and High St came all the way down the right side to Moat Lane.
What used to be in between these two streets to make two separate streets? Buildings or what?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Spice all St and High St
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
Bill, how far back are you talking about, because as far back as I can remember Spicieal St ran uphill on the left from Edgbaston Street to Bell St after that it was High Street. On the other side of the street it was High Street down as far as Moor Street and all the rest was The Bull Ring.

If you have date I will try to find a map from that time, in the meantime this is a map of the 50's before the changes in the 60's. I think the only changes prior to that was the demolition of the Shambles which what the group of butchers shops that  once stood in the bull ring were known as.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Billwalkey

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
Thanks, I didn't realize that St Martins churchyard had gone so far up. I guess that caused the division in the roads. Was there ever a cemetery attached? I only remember Spiceal St as being very short opposite the Gromyko doors of the church.
I used to be a choir boy there  :D  !

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »

hi bill
                 st martins in the bull ring   has got a bone yard not much of one but its got a few

this is st martins pre  1940s  the rails you see on the right of the photo was took down for the war effort I believe

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Billwalkey

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
Hi Phil,

Any chance you have a really old pic if the Bullring, say 1886?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
Bill

The Bull Ring 1886, looking at it I would think this is where Woolworths were built much later in 1921 therefore it's Spiceal Street. I'll search further as there might be an earlier one somewhere in my collection, but I have a feeling if I have they will just be drawings.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Billwalkey

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »
Thanks, Phil, this is a good quality pic seeing it's 1886.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy