Author Topic: Curry Houses - Need stories  (Read 1560 times)

IzzyM

Re: Curry Houses - Need stories
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 11:27:45 AM »
Hello Edmund, thanks for that lovey story about visiting the Shah Jahan with your wife in 1959  :-) Wonderful!!!  :)

P.wilson

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
Hi, I've been reading to try finding some info on my families past & have come across this feed..
Jinnah's restaurant was my grandad (& nan) Kazzi's place which my dad (John) was the manager.. if you would like to know anything about it please feel free to ask & i will ask my dad

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »
Hi P Wilson

Welcome to the forum, I knew you granddad & Grandmother well and I always thought that the Jinnah was one of the best curry houses in Brum, mind you there wasn't that much choice back then but it was the best. I had my first curry in there in about 1962 and it cost me 3/6d that would be seventeen and a half pence to you.
Make Love Not War

P.wilson

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 09:47:47 PM »
Hi, thank you
Do you remember their son?
It's good to hear, my dad still makes curries using their recipe!! If only they were that cheap now haha

aerosolarabic

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 09:57:50 PM »
Hi P.Wilson.

Thanks so much for posting here!  I have been on incredible journey over the past 3-4 months recording interviews right across the city, finding old restaurant owners and staff to capture their story. Would your dad be open for me to record his story?  His story then gets deposited into Birmingham Library's archive permanently.

Mohammed Ali

P.wilson

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 10:39:33 PM »
I will ask him.. I'm sure he won't mind.. here is a pic of Joy (my dads sister) in the restaurant with my grandad

aerosolarabic

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 10:55:44 PM »
wow, thats great!  Do you happen to have one of the shopfront at all?

aerosolarabic

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 10:32:25 PM »
Dear p.wilson

Do you mind if we conversed over email?

My email address is ali (AT sign) soulcityarts.com

aerosolarabic

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2017, 11:54:54 PM »
Hi,

P.Wilson, did you find any news from your father?

IzzyM

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2017, 09:23:46 AM »
Dear Mr Wilson

I hope all is well

Getting in touch following seeing your comment and picture in this thread.

I work alongside Mohammed Ali on the Knights of the Raj heritage project. We are currently working on the exhibition for the project, which will be open to the public on the 22nd of September.

We know that the Jinnah Restaurant was one of the earliest Indian restaurants. But we do not have enough information. We were interested in when it opened (and closed), any photographs we could possibly use in the exhibition (we would be happy to scan any you were comfortable about making available) and any stories associated with it (including family history, if you or anyone else were comfortable about telling such a story).

We are very interested in and indeed inspired by these pioneers and early businesses.

Please do get in touch with us if you are up for being involved, even if it provide some basic facts. We are very keen to make sure we leave out nothing important.

Hope to hear from you,

Best wishes!

Izzy
[email protected]