Author Topic: Curry Houses - Need stories  (Read 6278 times)

aerosolarabic

Curry Houses - Need stories
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »
've embarked on a project which documents the story of curry houses in the city going back to the early ones in the 40's/50/60's. Its called Knights of the Raj.  I have trawled through this forum and come across a few threads on Brums curry houses.  I am putting together a 3 month long exhibition to take place at Birmingham Museum which tells this important story of how Birmingham was home to these wonderful curry houses.

I have seen some old photos of curry houses posted in various threads, so would love to get high resolution scans of some of these pictures to feature in the exhibition.  I'm also looking to capture the stories and memories of these places, which some of you have told already here in your posts.  I would love to capture these further, either by being written up, or even by audio recording if possible.   Please share what you can, and do contact me directly if you are willing to share whatever you have.

Here are the oldest one's that i'd love to hear more about:

Johns Restaurant / Cafe - Steelhouse Lane
Shalimar
Taj mahal
Shah Jahan
Jinnah Restaurant - Moseley Road

Thank you
Mohammed Ali
Knights of the Raj Project

My email is knightsoftheraj(at sign)soulcityarts.com

jamesm

Re: Curry Houses - Need stories
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 07:36:42 PM »
Hi Mohammed, what a great project you're involved in, I wish you every success. My first experience of genuine Indian cuisine was early 1960s at a restaurant named the Shah Bagh which, if I remember correctly, was situated on The Horsefair just down from Holloway Head.
Prior to this my only taste of curry was from the famous or infamous "Vesta" curry packet made by, I think, Batchelors Foods.
To taste a curry made by Indian chefs was truly a mind blowing experience and opened up a voyage of discovery for me, not only of the various Indian dishes on offer but also other cuisines of the world. I discovered that meat and two veg wasn't the only food available.
I believe that this restaurant, the Shah Bagh was only the second Indian restaurant to open in Birmingham the first being sometime in the 1940s.
Hope you find this of interest.

vamann

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
During my brief spell as a private hire driver in 1967 I used to take the manager of the Curry Centre Bristol street home in the early hours, massive house if I remember correctly.  Also remember the large Indian chap on the door dressed in his ceremonial gear with a massive sword, didn't get any bother in those days :)

aerosolarabic

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 03:11:26 PM »
Hi JamesM

This is really great thank you for sharing.  Would love to capture some of these quotes you share. I am keen in the following in particular. Would be really handy to have your name attached to this to feature somehow in our exhibition.  Would you be ok with that?   Perhaps you could email and provide your name and details so we can credit this officially to include.

[size=0px]To taste a curry made by Indian chefs was truly a mind blowing experience and opened up a voyage of discovery for me, not only of the various Indian dishes on offer but also other cuisines of the world. I discovered that meat and two veg wasn't the only food available.[/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]

I wonder if you would be interested in elaborating further of some of your experiences. Our project is documenting people's stories through oral histories recorded with an audio recorder.  These are then transcribed and printed to contribute permanently into Birmingham's city archives at the library.   Would be great if you considered sharing this with us.  If not, then at the very least would be great to get your name attributed to your written account that you have provided at the very least.

Thanks again

Mohammed Ali

aerosolarabic

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
Hi Vamann- thanks for sharing.

I am trying to track down the owner of Curry Centre, i think i know who it is through my own family links, hoping he is still around.

- thanks all for sharing, please do keep them coming. If anyone has any pictures of any interior shots whilst having a meal in these restaurants, please do share!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:23:17 PM »
USED TO EAT QUITE OFTEN IN 56-57-58 in the Indian restaurant inSteelhouse Lane I think it was one of the first to open
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

aerosolarabic

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:59:05 PM »
Thank you Edmund, do you mean when it was called The Darjeeling?  Or before then when it was known as John's Restaurant?   Would you be interested in talking more about your experience. I'm trying to capture as much as I can about it.

aerosolarabic

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:10:29 PM »
Edmund- was it this place?  This is the Darjeeling on Steelhouse Lane - is that how you remember it?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »
Mohammed

It's Steelhouse Lane, not Steakhouse Lane.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

aerosolarabic

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:32 PM »
Oops sorry, now corrected, a typing error!   Thanks Phil..

aerosolarabic

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:19:59 PM »
Anyone who provides a picture of Johns Restaurant on Steakhouse Lane or the Shah Bagh has a free curry on me, any restaurant of your choice!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy