Author Topic: Bromyard Road Sparkhill  (Read 1800 times)

dougmcgill

Bromyard Road Sparkhill
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »
Has anybody got any memories about Bromyard Road

frederick

Re: Bromyard Road Sparkhill
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:57:52 AM »
Going back to 1960 a machanic that worked on the likes of very old Bentlays lived at No 198 or just there. Would that be anywhere near to where you lived and would you have known of him.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
I lived in Tetley Road in the 70s which is not that far away. I remember a chap named Alan who had a small supermarket on the corner of Bromyard and Formans Road around that time. I believe that years and years ago it was a small Pub but would think that would well before the second world war.
A another member of this Forum Lived in Formans Road right opposite Bromyard Rd so he may well pick up on this thread.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

dougmcgill

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »
I used to live at 160 Bromyard Road but I didn't know the mechanic.
I can remember there was a chap who played for Coventry City living across the road from me.
It was Alan Storeroom who owned the shop on the corner and I worked for him for a year or so while I was at school. What a great guy he was and I spent many a happy night watching the speedway with him and Beryl his wife.
He taught me a great deal about life and he showed me the right way to live. What a great teacher of ethics he was. His only fault was that he was a Birmingham supporter.(Ha Ha). He taught me things that I've never forgot. and it certainly set me on the right path for living.

harris22

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:18:23 PM »
Doug i think the footballer you are on about was Charlie Timmins who played for Coventry, he lived at 145a one of the new houses built on the old long gardens. Alan Storer one of lifes great characters,he could tell the most wonderful tales most you had to take with a pinch of salt.

harris22

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »
Spud i do not remember the shop on the corner of Bromyard being any thing morethan a shop,it was empty during the war and when Vic Clayton got demobed he had a party in it.If it had been a pub my dad would have mentioned it as he was always telling me things about Formans Rd like when it wascalled Formans Lane and abou the Wilders  fireworks having sheds on the landwere  the allotments are onthe land on the left as you walk down Formans just as you cross the bridge.

Andyjones

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
I was born in Bromyard road in 1963 number 161 my nan and grandad lived opposite at 182 when I was at School I worked for Alan and Beryl Storer in the corner shop for many years putting the front displays out and away before and after school also at weekends and school holidays going to the markets to collect goods Alan always bought breakfast in the cafe in Solihull road my nan brother and sister also worked for Alan and beryl a few times they would take us to caister to there caravans to clean at the start and end of the holiday season what a fantastic holiday we were spoilt rotten as they had no kids of there own

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 08:25:53 PM »
Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum, it's changed a little around that area over the last few years hasn't it?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy