Author Topic: Should local news remain free online? - www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8G8FKZP  (Read 1299 times)

j.walker

Should the Birmingham Mail/Post ask local people to pay for the online news content they produce? 20 years ago, people would've brought a newspaper, so why should news remain free online?

I'm currently researching this topic, so could you please spare 5 seconds to fill out the questionnaire that is linked above.

I'm a journalist, so i completely believe that people should pay to read local news online. What do you think?

Patriot

The link doesn't work for me.

On line news content should be free IMV. Publishers can recover their costs by accepting advertising, after all, printed newspapers accept advertising so what's the difference?
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

Akatarawa

This should be the link:  http://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8G8FKZP

Patriot

@Akatarawa

Thank you.
Survey completed.
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

JudithM

Survey completed.

I think with the internet, as we have to pay for the service anyway it's a bind to have to pay another fee on top of that.  I understand that a lot of these local paper web sites get revenue from advertising as well. A few places do charge a fee so that you don't get the annoying adverts pop up, which is slightly different.  I think these days with the amount of non-fee information out there the most likely outcome for wanting to charge a fee is to lose viewers.

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Patriot

Witness the rarely read Indy site. It's basically click bait.
The F/T expects you to pay to read news stories. Not this man.

You're quite right JudithM; News is available free if you look for it.

JudithM

I think one of the problems these days is that many people don't take the time to look & just accept what they first see   :P
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Patriot

Very True!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy