Author Topic: Tracing an oldfriend  (Read 4104 times)

Patriot

Tracing an oldfriend
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:49:11 PM »
Evening all.

Newbie here.

I'm trying to find John Young from Sparkbrook or any information about him. I think he lived in Birchwood Crescent and he was friends with the Rollins' family.
IIRC John's dad was a photographer or dabbled in photography.
My parents owned the fish and chip shop opposite Runcorn Rd in the 1950's and I'd be grateful for information.

TIA
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Tracing an oldfriend
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »
I was just asking about your parents chippy on another thread, so it was the one next door to M & J's?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Patriot

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:29:31 PM »
You'll have to forgive me. Who or what is M & J's?
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 11:40:50 PM »
Patriot

How old was you when you left Ladypool Road, you must have been very young or very old because in the 60's on a Friday night there would have been a queue outside M & J 's longer than the one outside your mom & dads chip shop. It was the place where all the young lads headed for after picking up their wages to buy the latest gear to wear at the local disco.

It was the local Nelson House where you could buy the latest gear at rock bottom prices, it didn't matter a great deal that it fell apart after the first wash or shrunk to half the size. A lot like Primark of today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Patriot

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 12:02:21 AM »
Ah yes!
My dad gave me a royal ear bending for ordering a Lime Green Teddy Boy suit with black velvet edging (Ye gods!) and swiftly went next door to cancel my order.
I was upset. For a short while. It was 1956 and TB suits were all the rage. Allegedly.
While we're on the reminiscing trail I seem to remember there was also Mrs.Niblo's sweet shop, Caudle's greengrocers and Tintern House and at the junction with Taunton Rd. was Pollards(?) motorcycle showroom.
Opposite Tintern House was Hall's builders yard.
I need to insert a new memory disc if this goes any further!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »
Patriot

I remember Hall's on the corner of Runcorn Road, but wasn't it Shovelbottom's on the corner of Ladypool Rd & Taunton Rd? I attended Dennis Rd School which was on Birchwood Crescent, but I'm sorry I didn't know your friend. Though I suppose he would have attended the same school, but it sounds like you are both a couple of years older than me. I attended from 1958 -1962.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Patriot

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
I think you're right. It could be Shovelbottom's. Jeez! I'm having to think back to between 1950-1956.

Dennis Rd.school, there's a name to remember.
We used to cut through the park to and from school and if we were seen in any way to be noisy the Park Keeper used to appear out of nowhere and give us a few words of 'advice'.
Does anyone know why the steps into Birchwood Cres. were known as the "Monkey Steps"? It's bugged me for years.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:56:29 PM »
Patriot

Apparently the name Monkey Steps comes from the time when an Organ Grinder used to stand at the bottom of the steps accompanied by his monkey.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Patriot

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »
Wow! Thanks for that.
I can dine out for weeks on that knowledge!

I'll pass this on to my ex Brummie friends in the US who asked me the same question.

Patriot

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »
I'm still no nearer to finding any info on John Young.
If it helps his near neighbours the Rollins family-at the time I knew them-was Mrs.Rollins, her two sons Ken and Alan and  daughter Marion. Marion was a hairdresser and emigrated to the US in 1963/64. I believe Ken emigrated to Canada and both he and Alan have since died.
I joined the Merchant Navy in 1956 and lost touch with everyone I knew especially as my parents moved to Wolverhampton in 1959. My dad then worked at Guys' Motors until he retired.

Thanks.

frederick

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »
The Monkey steps. It's strange the way some things get there names. I used them many a time cutting through to the shops in Ladypool rd.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy