Author Topic: Cannon Hill Park  (Read 56084 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Cannon Hill Park
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »
What are your memories of Cannon Hill Park. On this site I have seen several references to Cannon Hill, but there is no dedicated thread.  As Cannon Hill is Birmingham's flagship park I would think that every member of this forum (with the exception of one or two) have paid a visit at one time or another. So everybody should have some memories.

I am not interested if you think another park is better, be it in Birmingham or another City. This is solely about Cannon Hill Park.

What do you remember is it the gardens, the lakes, The greenhouses, the nature centre, the MAC, the paddling pools and the rivers, the grotto or the models of the Elan Valley  that replaced it. Or was it the tulip festival, the spring festival, the party in the park or any of the other functions held there, We must have loads of memories between us all, so lets hear them.

Cannon Hill park the once family estate of the Ryland family was donated to the people of Birmingham by Louisa Ann Ryland 1814-1889. This park was one of many gifts to the City of Birmingham by this remarkable lady.  Amongst these were other notable Birmingham parks Aston park, and Small Heath park.

Phil
Make Love Not War

Jacqueline

Re: Cannon Hill Park
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »
Phil,
   I guess my early memories had to be the simple sunday and going to feed the ducks with mom.....sorry fed them with bread and not mom. ;D

The tulip festival was fantastic but how many kids had to endure the flowers itching to get to the funfair. I know we all feel guilty now. :o

Teenage years and i foumd the art centre great. I enjoyed the library most which used to annoy my mates who were boy hunting. ;D

denise

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »
Apart from being a beautiful park, I love the Mac.I used to pop in for a drink at the bar and went to the cinema and shows there.

We saw a good folk singer once and we went to a supposed comedy show.It was awful.Nobody laughfed. ;D

I like the lakes and those little quiet secluded spaces you find around the park.

I think they are about to refurbish the mac soon.Hope they do not spoil it.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »
The thing I remember most about Cannon Hill Park was the paddling pool that used to stand where the nature centre is now.  It was a dirty disease ridden pond full of dead things, broken bottles and who knows what else, but we kids loved it. 

It always puzzles me why, at one time several Birmingham Parks had paddling pools. but I don't think any have them now.  Why is that. the upkeep can't be that much after they are built.  I think it is something our parks department should think about.

Phil

Make Love Not War

denise

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:33:10 PM »
With so many Health and safety laws now it would probally be a nightmare for the council to keep safe.

Do you remember the old Lido somewhere just outside of Brum.Mum used to take us,trying to remember where it was. :) :)

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »
Denise, Would that be Bournville lido. I think on Heath Road near Cadbuty's?

sueb

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »
Jacqueline and Denise - I used to go to Bournville Lido when I first came to Brum in the 70's.  It was fantastic!

Canon Hill - the most beautiful park with so many things to do.  I used to take my children for picnics there whatever the weather and until they were quite old.  They still talk about it now they loved it so much.  There was an area of rough ground at the far end, by some allotments and a small stream, and we used to play hide and seek there for hours on end.  There were hardly any people that used that bit so it was like our own private place.
The Nature Centre gets better every year and we take our grandson a lot - he loves the long play area and always finds someone to play with.
We also take visitors to Canon Hill, especially from Barbados, and they love it.  There's nothing free like that there and they can't get over the beautiful flowers and trees.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »
denise

If it was on the outskirts of Birmingham, it could have West Heath (the bathtub), Sutton Park (keepers pool) or it may have even been Knowle or Bromsgrove.  We used to have all these wonderful places in the vicinity. Now what do we have?

Phil
Make Love Not War

denise

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »
Just remembered it was at Droitwich.Great day out,rammed with kids ,no room to swim but we loved it.Used to think it was a really long way away and a great adventure :)

denise

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »
Yes my sister takes my little niece to the nature centre and they love it there.

Cannon hill is so popular now and they have a lot of events.I used to live close and the noise and traffic was horrendous.

Mum used to take us to theBotanical gardens .That was a good day out,still is but quite expensive to get in.

mazbeth

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »
thanks for doing this thread Phil - you're right - many references but not one specific thread - which it deserves...

I have many memories of it...from when I was a kid...we used to come to the Tulip Festival each year i think...some years as my dad was on St. John Ambulance brigade duty...

I have a number of pictures...one of me reading a newspaper as a baby ;D was taken at Cannon Hill if I remember right what mom says...

and many others since '86 when I moved near it.

I'll post some later, all being well - in the middle of cooking dinner right now.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing