Author Topic: Cannon Hill Park  (Read 96893 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Cannon Hill Park
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »
I was reading somewhere the other day that they have demolished the glasshouse in the park. With their usual efficiency the parks department informed no one of what was about to happen. They just turned up one day turned off the heating and fenced the place off from the public.

After a bit of a public uproar, the parks department have promised to replace the glasshouse with a modern and more efficient one. I'm willing to bet it will not have anything like the character of the old one. Will it have that delightful pond and fountain? I know what it won't have and thats the banana tree that stood in there as long as I can remember.

I know the old glasshouse was old and dilapidated and would probably cost a fortune to renovate, but I think like so many public buildings in Birmingham they are deliberately being left to get into this condition. Just look at the Golden Lion in the same park, fenced off and being held up by scaffolding.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2008, 02:36:37 PM »
That is sad news.Surprised it was not a listed building :(

Seasons greetings to you Phil :)

tramp

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »
What bad news, eh Phil?

What mentality have these destructive odds and sods in local govt?  Do they have what appears to be the aim of allowing everything to become so delapidated that they are ''forced'' to demolish it - why are decisions like the glasshouses not opened to public debate, and at least their proposed discussion not published.  To take a decision behid closed doors about a widely known and loved public amenity is rank cowardice - and even those stunted mental maladroits must see that - and then to send in the demo boys is bad news - you more than anyone here know how what that feels like....  I fear all the more for Moseley Rd baths.

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »
denise

It also surprises me, I suppose  the next thing to go will be the Golden Lion. Although there is talk of returning it to Deritend, although I can't see it happening but I hope it does.

May I return those seasons compliments with the additional wish of a happy new year.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2008, 03:34:09 PM »
tramp

I sometimes dispair of Birmingham Councils whatever their political persuasion. Whilst I understand the need to modernise certain areas of Birmingham and to do that we sometimes have to loose some building that the public feels might be better kept.

In cases like this though I have to strongly disagree with the mindset that thinks all old building have to go because simply because they are old and expensive to maintain.

Perhaps Birmingham Council should have a referendum, where they list all the old building and ask their ratepayers which should be saved. They would at least be able to say then they had the backing of the citizens of Birmingham. I of course wouldn't be able to vote as I pay no rates to Birmingham, Not even a business rate any longer.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2008, 04:48:26 PM »
Phil,

Brum's ratepayers are about as likely to get a referendum about historic buildings, as the UK population is to get a referendum out of Labour - you remember mate, the one they all promised you all - the same one that they promised themselves they'd: 1. never give you, and 2. do everything to make you forget about it, i.e. do nothing about it.

jasper14

« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »
Morena friends,
Dont know much about Cannon Hill Park, or nowadays a lot of Buildings in Brum but I do know that the world over once in power these "great minds"
just dont give a kippers dick as to what "you" the ordinary bloke thinks.
They always have and I,m sure always will do what they want to do,other
than having a revolution I cant see any other result................sorry

tramp

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2008, 07:37:55 PM »
Momjaz,

I like that expression you used ''a kipper's dick'' - I'm still laughing. ;D

So with rallying cries like that you're obviously the person to lead the revolution - up and at 'em O0

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »
Jasper

I've often been told that I am revolting, does that mean I can join your revolution?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jasper14

« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »

You all may join my Revolution BUT you pay your own fares..Right!

No seriously I cant see anyway to change the way some of these Councillors
think, just because its old does,nt mean it has to be dumped, Thank goodness
for that or I,d be long gone................

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2008, 08:17:35 PM »
Jasper

The trouble is there is not a politician alive in the world today that gives a jot what we think, because its the young ones who are going to keep them in their jobs for the next 40 years not us. Its the young we have to educate. The trouble is most of them couldn't care less about anything old, buildings or people.

In one way I have to agree with that. Its their world now, let them have it the way they want it. They might regret it later, but thats for them to find out.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy