Author Topic: Cannon Hill Park  (Read 97069 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Cannon Hill Park
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »
A couple of photos of The Golden Lion in its former glory. One is in situ on the High St at Deritend. The other is after it had been moved to Cannon Hill Park and they were still looking after it properly.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »
Another photo from my walk in Cannon Hill Park the other day. Its the glacial bolder that has stood there since the park opened. As I understand it the boulder was found whilst excavating the lake and put on display.

I understand that at one time there was a notice explaining just what it was, but by the time we kids used the park it had of course disappeared. So we had our own theory it was of course a meteorite and when it hit it formed the crater that became the lake.

I can't understand what the half hearted attempt at fencing is about. Is that supposed to stop the boulder being rolled into the lake as I believe it once was.

Here are some before and after photos showing the original fencing.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rwmcgowan

« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
to phil 47,
                one more of cannon hill, looking towards the keepers cottage, unfortunately they have taken down the greenhouses, a bit of history gone. rwm

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2009, 08:25:35 PM »
rmc

Yes I had heard that they had demolished the hot houses. Thats why I never bothered to walk that far on my last visit. Another piece of mindless vandalism by Birmingham City Council in their endless drive to save money. I wouldn't mind if it were so they could reduce the general rate but no its just to enable our leaders to pay themselves more.

Here is a photo of the tea rooms that I took when I was down there, I think these are in private hands now, if left to the Council they would demolish them. There is also a photo of the same place 58 years ago in 1951. You can just see how much has been spent extending and improving them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rwmcgowan

« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2009, 08:46:22 PM »
to phil47,
                the tea at the tea room is very good and they do a good bacon sandwich , the best bacon or sausage sandwiches around are to be found at "clent " at the  nimmings wood centre  start out at holy cross ,over the hill  and you will need one, 

tramp

« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »
rwm and Phil,

Thanks for these photos - we just called the boulder ''the rock''.  O0 

I remember the tea rooms and promised myself that ''one day, I'll go and get tea & toast'' - maybe that day will still come! ;D

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »
Janey

After your mention of the Tulip Festival I searched out these photos for you. I think the balloon ride you had may have been in the Birmingham Mail balloon. It didn't go very high and it was tethered to the ground.

The tulip festival I think started in 1960 and I remember that we used to climb over the fence in Russel Rd to avoid paying the shilling entrance fee. I used to go along every year and really enjoyed each time I went. I don't know why but it was decided to rename it the Spring Festival after a few years and it steadily went down the nick after that until they finally put an end to it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

buster

« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
Thand you for the pictures of the tulip festival. I played in cannon hill in the 40s and 50s. I now taken my grandchildren and they enjoy it very much. My hudband and I very often travel on the bus from Halesowen for a walk round and something to eat in the cafe. Last week I went to Winterbourne House and Gardens it was really nice. It was given to the city by one of the owners of Guest Keen and Nettlefolds a firm that gone I believe.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »
Hi buster

I had heard that you could spend a pleasant half day or so at Winterbourne House.  As you so rightly say the once home of J.S.Nettlefold partner in the screw manufacturing business of Guest Keen & Nettlefold now GKN. Have they gone now? I thought they still had headquarters in Redditch.

This photo shows the house in 1985 before it was open to the public.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
I have been digitising an 8mm cine film that my late father made in 1961 or 1962 at the Tulip Festival.  Here are two stills captured from the film.  These show a poster and the queue at the Pershore Road entrance by the Natural History Museum.

Shirley S

« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2011, 01:19:27 AM »
Cannon Hill Park - I remember the first model of the Elan valley, the meteorite and my little brother falling into the boating lake.  I remember fishing for tidlers and being caught by the  wag man.  In later years I enjoyed watching Laila Majnu, the Indian Romeo and Juliet by Sampad in the outdoor arena. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy