Author Topic: For petrolheads  (Read 1145 times)

Patriot

For petrolheads
« on: March 31, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
I've only ever been interested in all things mechanical whether on two,three or four wheels.
Does anyone else remember being in the city centre on a Saturday morning-near the Gaumont cinema I think-and waiting and watching for the Ariel factory riders to turn up at a cafe on Square Fours? The sounds and the smells, Oh, Heaven!
Or waiting outside the Norton factory in Bracebridge St. hoping to catch a glimpse of a Manx 500/Famous Rider?

I bunked off school on a couple of occasions to go York Rd. in Hall Green to drool over Velocette's.
When a school trip to the BSA  factory was organised I was like a child with two lollipops! As we were being shown round the assembly lines I saw a Gold Star being wheeled off and without thinking I asked if I could sit on it."No problem son". That was me gone for the day.

Excelsior at Kings Rd. Tyesley, James in Gough Rd.Greet.
All great names. All sadly gone from Birmingham.
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

frederick

Re: For petrolheads
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
Patriot,
Did you go to Dennis rd school, it's just that I/we were never offered a trip to the BSA all the time that I was there.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Patriot

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
Frederick.

I did go to Dennis Rd.school but I went to the BSA factory when I was at College Rd.school.
Always hated cycling after that!
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

frederick

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »
When you were at Collage rd school did you come in contact with pupils by the name of Dianne Guest or Ted Eaton.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Patriot

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 06:15:19 PM »
Afraid not squire.

Ogri

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »
Hi Patriot,
If it had an engine or wheels i have probably ridden it,drove it or fixed (or scrapped it) so F1 is among the motor sports i have an interest in,some more than others.
Know what you mean about electric cars racing,amazingly fast but still remind me of my old scalectrix
Incidentally i used to live within the motor cycle triangle you mention & they were all a big influence on me .

Patriot

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 07:00:13 PM »
Of all the motorbikes I owned the easiest to ride was my Ariel Red Hunter 500 and the fastest-and scariest-was my BSA DB34 Gold Star.

My Triumph 5T Twin leaked oil.
Velocette MAC leaked oil.
Norton ES2 leaked oil.
Combined with electrics from the Prince of Darkness (aka Joseph Lucas) it's no surprise British bikes fell by the wayside.

I did rescue a KSS Velocette from the backyard of the pub on the corner of Ladypool Rd. and Brighton Rd. and got it running, taxed and insured. Damn thing would be worth a lot of money today.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy