Author Topic: Ladypool Rd.  (Read 7587 times)

Patriot

Ladypool Rd.
« on: April 05, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »
The longer I'm on this forum the more memories I recall.

IIRC at the bottom-or near the bottom-of Ladypool Rd there was a pub. I think it was 'The Angel'(?) and the landlord had a dog. A Very Big Dog. I think it was a Mastiff or similar.
The damn thing used to go on walkabout and one early evening he ended up outside my dad's chip shop looking very tired and sorry for himself and as a dog lover I gave him a bowl of water. Now what?
Mt dad told me he belonged to the pub landlord so clipped a lead on him and walked him back. It seemed a long walk to me anyway the landlord was grateful, said 'thanks' and I toddled off back home.
Stone me! The next week the same thing happened again. Walk back etc.etc. but this time I said to the landlord that it was a long, tiring and thirsty walk (Hint. Hint)
He gave me a glass of lemonade and half-a-crown, which was half of my paper round wages
2/6d. All mine! C'mon dog, this is good stuff. Sadly not.
I think the landlord either chained his dog or built a better fence.

Is the pub still there or has it been refurbed/modernised or demolished and is the bus garage still there which was round the corner from Ladypool Rd?
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

mikejee

Re: Ladypool Rd.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:52:40 PM »
Looks like (from streeetview sept 2016) that it has just been refurbished, though not as a pub

Patriot

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »
Thanks Mike.
Are you sure this is the same pub?
The caption mentions Stratford Rd. and I don't recall the entrance at the front of the building.
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

mikejee

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:14:39 PM »
The caption is mine, as the address is Stratford Road, just on the corner of Ladypool. Here is a photo of it as a pub, looking from the side, and onme of it in the 1870s.

Patriot

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:23:19 PM »
Thank you so much, the bottom photo is exactly as I remember it.
It takes me back a bit.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »

i was on the ladypool road a few months back cars parked on the pavement both sides of the road not a nice looking place any more

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »
That looks like Pakistan to me.     :o       :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:02:21 AM »
I can remember in the 60's it being impossible to drive a lorry up Ladypool Road because of parked cars on both sides of the road, parking was restricted to one side of the road or the other on alternative days. Though even then nobody took any notice and the police rarely did anything about it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
The Angel. I went past it on the Bus a couple of weeks ago it has reopened as a Restaurant Didn't take that much notice but what's the betting it's an 'Indian' ?
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 10:06:05 AM »
That looks like Pakistan to me.     :o       :(

Never having been to Pakistan I wouldn't know, but to me it looks like any other area of the city that has been neglected by the City Council.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
The Angel. I went past it on the Bus a couple of weeks ago it has reopened as a Restaurant Didn't take that much notice but what's the betting it's an 'Indian' ?

Spud

It's Called Manjaro's and it's actually Afro- Caribbean.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy