Author Topic: Ladypool Rd.  (Read 7586 times)

frederick

Re: Ladypool Rd.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 02:44:33 PM »
So Brum must look a right rubbish tip now if Ladypool rd is anything to go by. It can't be that bad surely.      :(       :o
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Patriot

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
Try Google Street View and see what you think
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 03:12:38 PM »
Fred the same location at a later date, it doesn't look too bad to me, have you tried walking down Windsor Street Neath Swansea lately. It looks no different to Ladypool Rd to me.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
Well said Phil
Some love the even smallest opportunity to take a dig at old Brum and after all we only had 39 million visitors last year  8)
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

frederick

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
The latest photo of Ladypool rd looks much better.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Patriot

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »
Fred the same location at a later date, it doesn't look too bad to me, have you tried walking down Windsor Street Neath Swansea lately. It looks no different to Ladypool Rd to me.

Thread revival  8)

In the photo posted by Phil at the top centre is what looks like a fairly modern red brick building. What is it?
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »
Patriot

It's just a block of maisonettes not much better than the houses they demolished on this end of Ladypool Road
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Patriot

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »
Thanks Phil.

bookworm

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 01:27:27 PM »
I lived most of my younger life in Beechfield Road, adjoining Ladypool Road.  I do miss my old home and all the surrounding streets housing once recognisable landmarks.  Yes, Ladypool Road  has indeed changed somewhat but, I feel, not too drastically. However, my own memories allow me to once again walk familiar streets, see familiar faces and visit familiar places. That way, Ladypool Road stays as it always was and the modern version is blanked out. It is nice to reminisce.   :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 02:05:46 PM »
bookworm

I can't remember now if you said you lived on the side of Beechfield Road that they extended the school playground on, as the other side of the road is virtually untouched unlike Larches Street on the other side of Ladypool Rd except for the single block of 4 maisonettes they built on the bomb site in the 50's. Where one of my uncles (in law) still lives sadly my Aunt died some years back.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bookworm

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
Hello Phil.
I did indeed live where they extended the school. Couldn't see the point myself in doing that. School was large enough as it was.  When Beechfield Grove disappeared so too did one of the last remaining pretty garden terrace homes with its sash windows, privet hedges and little iron gates. The opposite side of Beechfield is as you say, virtually untouched, although the Chip Shop and Outdoor have long gone.

I saw images of the demolition of Larches Street and felt very sad It seemed almost brutal! . I had a nice school friend who lived at the top of Larches Street and wonder what she would make of it all now.
Sorry for the loss of your aunt Phil but I feel your uncle must still enjoy living in the area? I think Ladypool does that to people who have known it as we have. It seems to be in the blood. No-matter the changes that are made, it will always be The Lane!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy