Author Topic: Ladypool Rd.  (Read 7588 times)

Johnnyboy

Re: Ladypool Rd.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 12:16:55 AM »
Beechfield road was the greatest. I lived at the bottom end near mole street. It was a Saturday morning chore to go up the lane to jack Morris for mom and get 6d worth of lard. Then corner of ladypool road to Westwood for 10lb of king Edwards. I think that was studley road??

Bronson

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 10:49:23 PM »
My mother was born in Studley Street , she lived in the back houses behind a pub called the Gate. The pub is still there but that is also a restaurant bistro pub.  Her maiden name was Warwick does this name ring a bell anyone..

Johnnyboy

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 12:29:36 AM »
I can't recall the name Warwick but you gave my memory a jolt. On the corner of studley st was a barrow like up the bull ring selling fruit and veg. The next street was Alfred st that was the corner for Westwood. Going toward highgate rd was peacocks and Woolworth and across the road was a fantastic second hand shop I could get the superman comics from.

Bronson

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 01:11:23 AM »
The houses my mother lived in were behind Woolworths. She was from a big family, one of her brothers founded a building company , Warwick the builders he actually owned the old Tysley cinema at one stage.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 01:54:23 AM »
That's fascinating. If we went to studley st from mole street we would go straight across the bomb site between the bus garage and your moms. Half way across there was an old bomb shelter we us to play in

Johnnyboy

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 02:01:06 AM »
Another memory of family names on highgate road. On the one corner of mole street and highgate road was the Webb family. Not the other corner was the Richardson families. As was our own family of 10 both these were also large families.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 10:33:50 AM »
Hi Bronson

Welcome to the forum, I knew quite a few people that came out of Studley Street, Alfred Street & Queen Street. In fact I occasionally drank in the Gate with some of my mates from around there,  this would be in the 60's when Jack Blower was the landlord. In fact we even went down to The Fish at Offenham that he bought when he left the Gate on a couple of occasions to fish the waters he had there.

Here are a couple of photos of the Gate, one showing the pub the other shows a crowd of women in the back yard after what looks like a party it looks to be in the early 50's perhaps you can pick out a relative?

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bronson

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 08:01:09 PM »
Hi, what brilliant pics of the gate and the ladies. The last time I was there was in 1960 at my grandmothers funeral. However I shall be doing some searching as I am sure that I recognise one person on the photo, just need to chat to my older brother ( I'm 69 ) but a big thank you for the pics..

bookworm

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 08:01:34 PM »
Oh my, The Gate. When I was a child my parents use to take my brother, sister and myself to the gardens on a Saturday night in the summer if he had a spare bob or two. Pop and crisps never tasted so good! Lovely pictures.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
Another one of the gate, this one a little earlier in 1914, when seeing photos of this time one thought always comes to mind and that is "I wonder how many of the young men pictured here went to war and never came back"?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy