Author Topic: DAY TRIPS TO THE THE SEASIDE IN THE LATE 1940S & 1950S  (Read 15173 times)

Andy Capp

DAY TRIPS TO THE THE SEASIDE IN THE LATE 1940S & 1950S
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:36:42 PM »
HI ALL
IN THE LATE 1940S & 1950S THERE ALWAYS SEEMED TO BE ONE PERSON IN MOST STREETS & ROADS WHO ORGANISED THE ANNUAL DAY TRIP TO THE THE SEASIDE. OURS ALWAYS SEEMED TO GO TO NEW BRIGHTON NEAR LIVERPOOL. IT USED TO TAKE ABOUT 4 HOURS TO GET THERE BY COACH. WE USED GET A COUPLE OF HOURS THERE JUST TIME TO BUY SOME CHIPS AN ICE CREAM & A PADDLE IN THE SEA. THEN GET BACK ON THE COACH & COME HOME HAPPY DAYS
ANDY CAPP

denise

Re: DAY TRIPS TO THE THE SEASIDE IN THE LATE 1940S & 1950S
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:34:43 AM »
Our brummy days out were :) to Weston.Go and have a wallow in the mud and then home again,Lots of fun.

mazbeth

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:08:09 AM »
I'll have to include the 60's too Andy, as some of us who post here are slightly younger...

yes, Weston for us too, and Prestatyn and Rhyl.
These were mainly Sunday school ones, although if dad had a working old banger he took us once or twice.
For me it was mainly in the 60's, but my mom's experience (from the same church/Sunday school), was in the 40's and 50's and I have some pics of her and friends standing by old coaches looking really happy...

those old coaches were great.
I remember we stopped for refreshments in the canteeen on a factory once - (obviously before the motorways and service stations), and getting a bottle of orange Fanta from a wall machine and thinking it was great. (This would have been early 60's).
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

frederick

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 02:05:42 PM »
andy,
i remember my mom and dad taking me to new brighton in the 40s i remember standing at a railway station waiting for the train to take us there i know i was very young it must have been just after the war, and later on we would go camping at skegness in one of those army bell tents graham and his family would be with us for us kids it was great and later on we would go and stay in a caravan.
did you ever go hop-picking that was another adventure for us kids around 1950.     8)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Andy Capp

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »
HI ALL
THE FUNNY PART OF ABOUT THOSE TRIPS WAS THAT THE MEN WOULD STACK ABOUT FOUR CRATES OF BOTTLED BEER AT THE BACK OF THE COACH  &  THEN STILL STOP AT A COUPLE OF PUBS ON THE WAY HOME. THERE WAS ALWAYS SOMEONE ON THE COACH WHO COULD PLAY THE PIANO SO WHEN WE STOPPED AT THE PUBS WE WOULD HAVE GOOD OLD SING SONG. THEN TOWARDS THE END THE JOURNEY ONE OF THE MEN WOULD STAGGER UP THE COACH WITH HIS HAT FOR A COLLECTION FOR THE DRIVER & WE WOULD ALL SING FOR HE,S A JOLLY GOOD DRIVER.
ANDY CAPP 8)

Andy Capp

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 04:34:35 PM »
THIS WAS THE TYPE OF COACH WE DID OUR TRIPS ON.
ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:50:59 PM »
The last coach trip I went on was a nightime mystery tour (a pub as always). The only difference being it was a womens only night out.

It was organised by the Railway Club in Nechells and on the night that it went me and my mate were in the club early playing snooker.  Just before it left a woman came running in to the snooker room and said there are two tickets left at 7/6d each do you want them.

Reluctant as we were, when we had managed to unjam ourself from the coach doorway where we had got stuck in our reluctant haste, we boarded the coach, just us two 18 year old callow youths and a coach load of women from 18 to 80.

We had a great night out, of which I will say no more about other than if you think men can play it up a bit on a stag night, then you just want to watch the antics women get up to.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 03:55:34 AM »
I never went on a coach trip from Brum, but remember seeing Smith's (white) coaches on the corner of Farm and Stratford Rds, on the way to the doctors' opposite, and occasionally seeing a Royal Blue on Stratford Rd en route for somewhere exotic like Bournemouth.....   

I recall my granddad talking about pre-war charabanc trips to W-S-M and so
spent many young years wondering what it was that made Weston so 'Super' and M...'    In the 60's I went through it in the army, and it 'wern't nuffink speshul, a' tall - and the tide was out.

Mikey

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 10:06:01 AM »
I remember my first visit to the "seaside" was just after the war had finished and my granddad took my mother and father and little me to Burnham-on-Sea. Can't remember a thing about it except I was sitting in the back of his car (yes, he had a car 'cos he owned a garage in Sparkbrook and was a bit of a crook!) and I was playing with the door handle, and suddenly the door opened with me still hanging on to the handle, luckily my dad was also sitting in the back and managed to grab me and haul me back in. Granddad turned his head and growled at me "Sit still you silly little [censored]**r or I'll give you a hiding" – I remember that bit as well! After Burnham we went on to Weston-Super-Mare and the tide was out then too! I figure that the tide must always be out at Weston.
I am not young enough to know everything

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 11:01:24 AM »
tramp

Welcome back,  the tide is always out at WSM. Thats why they had that concrete pool structure on the beach to hold some of the water for the kids to paddle in. 

Weston went the same way as all the other seaside town everthing replaced by big shopping centres filled with thousands of husbands accompanied by thousands more screaming kids being dragged around by wives in search of that bargain,  that in reality could be purchased in their local shops cheaper.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 11:12:54 AM »
My first time by the sea, was when my uncle took me to Llandudno, for the day, I've never seen the sea, and all that sand, with my bucket and spade, I built castles and empires in the sand, and my first icecream by the sea, ( wasn't as good as Mindand counties, but it was nice, climbing over the rocks I ripped my pants, so there I am wet and with a tear down the back on my short pants, and my shirt tail hanging out, but I didn't care, I was by the seaside. and to come to think of it, it was my first time on a train too, looking out the window at all the poles racing past ( telegraph poles) and all the smoke coming from the engine, and getting cinders in my eyes, .... yep,  yesterday when I was young.....J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy