Author Topic: ANSELLS: Brewery in Aston and off-licences in Washwood Heath and others areas.  (Read 1294 times)

Angela58

Hello,

I have recently come across a Certificate from Ansells Brewery Ltd awarded to a close relative dated 27 July 1967, and it reminded me of my happy childhood years when the relative concerned was a manageress of a few off licences during the 1960s. 
I also recall as a 10 year old visiting the brewery in Aston with a relative and seeing the cheerful men with their boots on, and all the beer swilling around them.  I remember my parents seeing to the oak barrels of beer in the cellar and it had to be just so.
I certainly learned about life itself!

Does anyone have anything they might have kept or remembered from those Ansells' years if they were connected with the shops/brewery in anyway?

Best wishes,

Angela58

joan phipps

Hi I lived in Phillips St Aston in 1948 right next door to Ansells brewery/storage building.Right opposite a large factory was Shellys.Not sure what they made,to busy playing you understand.I lived in the cafe next to Ansells and opposite shellys.My parents Gladys and Jack had the cafe and served cooked meal to the workers,breakfasts,sandwiches for morning breaks,mid-day lunches,they bought jugs for tea,coffee,which was bottled camp coffee,who remembers that.Across the road was the blacksmiths who used to shoe the horses.Not many cars then of course,as coal was bought round on carts,as was the milk,and cant forget the rag and bone man,with his goldfish,but the horse was well fed.I one thing i well never forget was the smell of HP sauce,it turned my stomach,and ive never eaten it.Went to Burlington Street school.Just past the cafe was a small no entry road only used by the sawmill.As kids we used to play in there at nights and weekends. Hope this brings back memories for you all.  :)  Joan

Angela58

How do Joan  :)   Well I never did, I feel as if I am in that cafe.  You cannot beat such places, and I would have lunch there if it still existed. Was it there during the 1960s as well because when you mentioned the jugs, I can recall being in a cafe with my father somewhere in that area, and we were talking about the jugs?  This cafe I am thinking of might have been further along the Slade Road, possibly near Brookvale Road though.
We lived on the edge of Aston for a time, off the Slade Road, and I definitely played out a lot until sunset.  To this day, I do not like being cooped up and enjoy being out and about.
As for the Rag & Bone man, I loved all that sort of thing and would rush out to make a fuss of the horse.
Dow yow still live in Brum?  Have yow moved out of the place?
Tara a bit,
Angela

joan phipps

Hi Angela  Cant remember the roads just the road we lived in Phillips Street Aston.Newtown Row was the other end of the street,and Aston Cross with the big clock round the corner as such.we moved away in 1951 went to live in bounemouth down south,then moved to evesham,then Burbery Street Lozells.then Whitmore Street Hockley,Booth street Handsworth.My parents only stayed about 3 yrs any where as they bought and sold shops,moving bigger as they went.My early days were spent in the ''Blues Cafe'' Cattlell Road Small Heath.then Sladefield Road Alum Rock,then to Phillips Street in 1947.Ive just started writing my life story to leave with my family,mainly my granddaughters,so hope they will find it insteresting.Lets put it this way i havent been a saint lol lol,knocking on doors as kids then running away,tying knockers together and watched  them trying to both open them.As kids we had very little to do in those days ,not like the children today,but we had fun.Joan xx

Angela58

Hi Joan,
Thanks for your reply with all that information.
My mother was a manageress of an off licence in Couchman Road, Alum Rock at one time.  I like the name Alum Rock!  The streets were cobbled and we had a back yard that was also laid with cobbles too, full of Ansells' wooden crates.  I was only 2 when we first moved there, and can remember we had an Austin 7 car or one that looked like this.  It was black with lovely comfortable seats, and you had a nice step to get into the car itself. 
On some Sundays during the summer when I was older we would go to Tewkesbury, Evesham or Weston super mare, and my mother would come with us sometimes, depending on whether she could get one of her friends to manage the shop.

In some ways you have inspired me to continue with the book I am writing but is not about the B'ham years.  There have been a few distractions of late but onwards and upwards as they say!

I have got great nieces and for presents I usually give them books to read rather than anything technological.  I buy some toys for them though.  My nephew tells me that they love them which is good to hear. 
I agree with you that we did have fun as children.

Tarra a bit,
Angela x

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy