Author Topic: Adderley Road - St Saviours Road, Saltley  (Read 1390 times)

Munchalotta

Adderley Road - St Saviours Road, Saltley
« on: May 09, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
Hi
Just wondering if anyone remembers the off licence at the corner of Adderley Road and St Saviours Road, Saltley?

My grandparents lived at No. 95 Adderley Road, where my mother was born about 86 years ago, not long after she was born they all moved to the off licence at the bottom of St Saviours Road No 2 and also on the corner of Adderley Road, No 166 I think, next door to the wash baths. I would be interested in anyone who remembers them Madge and Billie Wells they owned the off licence for around 30 years.  My Nan used to be a dress maker and made wedding dresses etc . During there time they had a bus and lorry crash into the front of the off licence.

I lived in George Arthur Road for a few years in the 50's in one of the two new houses which were built just after the war

If by any chance anyone has any photo's of the off licence or surrounding area I would love to see them.

I would love to hear from anyone who can remember my mother or grandparents or even me.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Adderley Road - St Saviours Road, Saltley
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 01:26:36 PM »
Hi Munchalotta

I don't recall if I have said hello to you yet, if not please forgive my late welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't put my hands on a photo of the outdoor at the junction of Adderley Road & St Saviours Rd at the moment but I will keep an eye open for one. The outdoor was listed at 118a Adderley Rd until the early 30's when it changed listings to 2 St Saviours Rd. At the time which is approximately the time I work out to be when your family moved into the outdoor the listing was in the name of Mrs May Mirriam Parry would this have been your grandmother?

If you type Adderley Rd into the search-box at the top right of the page it will bring up lots of posts and images of the surrounding area or you could try spending a few hours reading through this thread,

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2050.0
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

NAGGYNAN43

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:02:24 PM »
To Munchalotta, I lived in St. SAviours Rd opposite the school.  I remember Mr and Mrs Wells very well.  Each Sunday evening I would take my nans white jug down to the outdoor. There I would be served with Albright ale which. NAn would put the poker in after it had reached a fiery red in the fire.  When that was done I would be given a penny and back to Mrs Wells for a penny bag of crisps. These were broken crisps in a white grease proof bag. The bag was stuffed full.Good value. Then out to play ball against the dead wall. This was between the sitting room window of the outdoor and the first house up. Mrs Anderson I think.  Happy carefree days.
Nice people the Wells.

Munchalotta

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
Hi

Thank you for your message, it was lovely to hear from someone who new of my grandparents, yes I remember the penny bags of crisps.
I used to stay with me grandparents every Friday night and most of Saturday and helped out in the shop serving. We had people queuing out
of the door with there empty Alpine pop bottles wanted to get them filled up.

I made a few friends while staying there they used to come round and play, but I can't remember any names.

How long have you been left? do you by any chance remember a lady called Janet Earl? her husband died quite
young, she lived on her own and had a dog. I think she probably lived about 6 - 10 doors up from the outdoor. I lost contact with her.

Have you by any chance got any photo's at all?

Munchalotta

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »
Hi Phil

Really sorry I have only just seen your email

Mr Grandparents were called Madge and Bill Wells

They did have two addresses, 188 Adderley Road, & No 2 St Saviours Road

Thank you for the link I will have a look now.

Once I start looking back in the past hours seem to go by

Munchalotta

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
I have a few photo's but not really sure how to post them

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »
Munchalotta,

It's really quite easy, you can click on "attachments and other options" at the bottom of the reply box and follow the onscreen instructions.  Though you might it easier to follow the instructions for the method given here.

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4681.msg137371#msg137371
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy