Author Topic: Events at the Queens Arms.  (Read 1076 times)

christopher

Events at the Queens Arms.
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:53:44 PM »
Here's a message from the guys at the Queens Arms

Dear all,

We'd like to invite you all down for the first of our Thursday night sessions this week.

That's right folks, this Thursday The Queen's will be folk rocking to the marvellous sound of Dan Hartland following an open mike session. This night is designed to give those of you who haven't played Saturday a chance to show us your chops, and those of you who have, a chance to test out new stuff and generally enjoy yourselves.

Depending on the success this will be a weekly event, and we're looking for performers who have already cut it at SNATQ to headline future nights with the same format.

Next Saturday we've two touring acts from Southend on Sea, A Broken Robot and Nick Silvey and the Satellites, along with the always charming Si & Rich from LP45.

See you then,

Tom et Paul

www.myspace.com/saturdaynightatthequeens

christopher

Re: Events at the Queens Arms.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 05:55:04 AM »
Thursday 24th April 20:30
Live Sessions - Dan Gallagher + Open Mic 

Saturday 26th April 20:00
SNATQ Special event: Chris Tye, Kristy Gallacher, Them Children and The Love Child Electric 

Thurday 1st May 20:00
Live Sessions - Alex Moir + Open Mic

Saturday 3rd May 20:00
Jayne Powell, Corda & David Sanders 

Thursday 8th May 20:00
Live Sessions - Mellow Peaches + Open Mic 

Saturday 10th May 20:00
Matt Geary, TBC & TBC 

Thursday 15th May 20:00
Live Sessions - Them Children + Open Mic 

Saturday 17th May 20:00
The Drip Dry Man, Velvet Engine & Rick Wellings 

Saturday 24th May 20:00
Aaron Yorke, Urisk & Pete Winwood 

Thursday 29th May 20:00
Live Sessions - Dan Hartland + Open Mic 

Thursday 5th June 20:00
Live Sessions - Fola + Open Mic 

Saturday 7th June 20:00
SNATQ 1st Birthday Party: Tom Bellamy, Dan Hartland and more acts TBA

Thursday 12th June 20:00
Live Sessions - Them Children + Open Mic 

Thursday 19th June 20:00
Live Sessions - Mellow Peaches + Open Mic 

Thursday 26th June 20:00
Live Sessions - Dan Hartland + Open Mic 

Saturday 5th July 20:00
24th Birmingham International Jazz Festival 

Saturday 12th July 20:00
24th Birmingham International Jazz Festival 

christopher

Re: Events at the Queens Arms.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »
I've just received the following message from the guys who ran Saturday Night at The Queens ...

Hello Everyone,

It is with no small amount of sadness that we write to let you know that, alas, Saturday Night at The Queens is no more.

We have had a year of successes, with many memorable nights, and we'd like to thank Dave for all the hard work, energy and support he has invested over the past year. Our thanks also go out to each and every one of you for your continued support and memorable performances.

Paul and I had recently informed the venue that we were looking to hand over responsibility for running the night to new organisers, and they have reached the difficult decision that they do not wish to continue under new arrangements. Our apologies to the acts who have had shows cancelled as a result of this decision, particularly those of you who have not received much notice and those who now have gaps in their touring programmes.

We would also make a point of expressing our gratitude to the venue for the support we have enjoyed over the past year, let it not be forgotten that they have put around 5000 into Birminghams independent music community over the past 12 months, far more than any other venue i'm aware of.

Those of you who came down to our 1st Birthday last Saturday will know our last show was a fantastic success, featuring great performances from Jayne Powell, The Matthew Bennet Band, Dan Hartland and Tom Bellamy.

Paul and I will be following through on our plan to take a break from the heady world of promotion, but please be assured that when we get around to doing something again in the future, you will all be a part of our plans. Likewise, The Queens isn't going to let it's PA rust into nothingness and more (if less frequent) Live Music may well be on the cards at some point in the future.

With something of a void created by SNATQs conclusion (and though none of these are Saturday shows) we heartily recommend Messrs Chappell and Morton who run top notch nights out of the Adam & Eve (Digbeth), the various promoters running nights out of The Bulls Head (Moseley) and Hare and Hounds (Kings Heath), and the Acoustic Brew guys for gigs in Bearwood and elsewhere. Check out IK:TOMS for London gigs.

It's been a pleasure to meet so many of you lovely talented people and you can keep in touch with Paul and I by dropping us a line to;

[email protected] & [email protected]

We'll be leaving this profile live for a few weeks in case any of you want to post heartfelt messages of grief and loss, or embarassing "can I have a gig?" comments which will reveal to all that you haven't read this message, or you know... just random abuse...  www.myspace.com/saturdaynightatthequeens

Keep supporting independent live music, keep believing in your quality as a musical community, and we'll see you around. (Probably in The Queens...I mean the beer's still very tasty now isn't it?)

Keep good,

Tom (being the Harbinger of bad news for the organisers of SNATQ*)

*Which for the record should be remembered as Paul Griffin, Dave Lewis and well.. er..me.

P.S. We've got a lot of recordings and photographs from the last year which we'll be looking to do something with at some point. Please get in touch if you'd like to know more about this.