Author Topic: Harborne Cinemas  (Read 2679 times)

Brow 16

Harborne Cinemas
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »
I'd like to see any pictures your members may have of Harborne Cinemas O0

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Harborne Cinemas
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »
Hello Brow

Welcome to the forum, if you tell me what cinemas you class as Harborne Cinemas I will sort them out for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 08:54:37 PM »
the only one I know by the way welcome to the forum
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »
The two cinemas in Harborne as far as I have been able to find out were. The Royalty on the High Street as Roy has already posted. The other was The Harborne on Serpentine Road. Both are now closed, the Royalty was a Bingo Hall for a few years but I think is now closed down. The Harborne became a Social Club and still remain open today as far as I am aware.

I have been asked before to try to find a photo of the Harborne when it was still operating as a cinema, unfortunately even though that was more than 3 years ago I'm still not able to produce one.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »
Sadly, this has now been gutted by fire -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-45570791

There has been a group trying to get this restored for use by the community again, but it looks like those plans my be out of reach now.  The cynic in me is wondering whether this is yet another case of a troublesome listed building being deliberately fired so the land can be used for something more profitable.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:49:12 PM »
Judith

Yes I've always found it very strange how these listed buildings that have remained empty for some time always seem to succumb to fire in the end.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:01:47 PM »
Sadly, this has now been gutted by fire -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-45570791

There has been a group trying to get this restored for use by the community again, but it looks like those plans my be out of reach now.  The cynic in me is wondering whether this is yet another case of a troublesome listed building being deliberately fired so the land can be used for something more profitable.

Sad really sad , I saw Peter Sellers in A Shot in The Dark there in the 60's . Seems strange it ends its days
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »
Judith

Yes I've always found it very strange how these listed buildings that have remained empty for some time always seem to succumb to fire in the end.

The Fire Service are saying the fire is 'suspicious'....

Sad really sad , I saw Peter Sellers in A Shot in The Dark there in the 60's . Seems strange it ends its days

Hopefully, there is less structural damage than they originally thought & it can be salvaged.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy