Author Topic: Coleshill Street 1970s  (Read 1023 times)

norman ward

Coleshill Street 1970s
« on: May 21, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »
Does anyone remember this place where I worked in 1960s and 70s?

Ian Dalziel

Re: Coleshill Street 1970s
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:34:02 PM »
Yes, I was a customer. Also, I think you were a fellow member of the George Formby Society.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

norman ward

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 11:13:57 PM »
Yes Ian. Correct! and I am still a member of the GFS all these years later. Fancy you remembering that.  They were happy days!

Bishopswood

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
Yes I remember you Norman and the shop Mick Moffat's. My family used to live above the shop, (Mom, dad, Grandad and us three sisters Meena, Sofena and Jorina). We had to move out when Aston University bought the premises and demolished it. My now husband was also a frequent customer in the shop.
Hope you are well.
Regards
Meena

norman ward

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 03:51:22 PM »
Yes I remember you all well. Also your mom Evelyn, and her dad who worked at a bank if I recall correctly. He lived with Florrie and moved to Five Ways. It all seems a lifetime ago. I have been living the last30 yrs in Derbyshire but we never forget our roots. Please keep safe and you can contact me on facebook and let you have my phone number for a chat!

Seabrook Bred

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 08:44:52 PM »
A while before the 70s but I started my working life at Coleshill Street Post Office in 1962 and stayed there until 1964 when the GPO moved me on to another office.

The post office was, I think, next door to Geo. Alexander Machine Tools and just down from the Gaiety Picture House. I remember Gaskell and Chambers being the other side of the street and the unusually named Blackpool fish and chip shop also on that side.

I think it was a very deprived area to live in and was re-developed with extensions to what is now Aston University. I recently went a walk down there and, although it's difficult to envisage how it was when it's all been rebuilt, I suspect that the part of Coleshill Street that I know is now a car park as the road is divided.

Happy days though although I started work in the worst winter since 1947.