Author Topic: Coleshill Street 1970s  (Read 3400 times)

SENSIBLE

Re: Coleshill Street 1970s
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 08:28:24 PM »
A while before the 70s but I started my working life at Coleshill Street Post Office in 1962 and stayed there until 1964 when the GPO moved me on to another office.

The post office was, I think, next door to Geo. Alexander Machine Tools and just down from the Gaiety Picture House. I remember Gaskell and Chambers being the other side of the street and the unusually named Blackpool fish and chip shop also on that side.

I think it was a very deprived area to live in and was re-developed with extensions to what is now Aston University. I recently went a walk down there and, although it's difficult to envisage how it was when it's all been rebuilt, I suspect that the part of Coleshill Street that I know is now a car park as the road is divided.

Happy days though although I started work in the worst winter since 1947.

I worked  at George Alexander Machinery in Coleshill Street when I first left school. It was my first job and i was earning about thirty bob a week.   8)
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

Edmund Fifield

Re: Coleshill Street 1970s
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
Worked round the corner at Marsh & Baxters Garage £2-17-6d.  7 till 5 +Sat morning 7 till12. 50 hrs a week
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy