Author Topic: Doll's Club  (Read 4166 times)

jamesm

Doll's Club
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »
This week, as I'm sure most people are aware, is the 50th anniversary of Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album by the Beatles. Just been listening to the album again and the track Lovely Rita came on. Instantly brought back memories of me, as a 16 year old spotty youth, having lied about my age and gained access to the Dolls Club strip joint, watching a gorgeous redheaded young lady "artistically" disrobe to this great song. I wonder how many other forum members of  a similar age have any memories of the Dolls Club? I have to add it was my one and only visit to this establishment but I wouldn't have missed it for the world :)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Doll's Club
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:30:38 PM »
Jamesm

The Dolls Club has been mentioned many times on the forum, in particular on this thread,

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=466.msg587704#msg587704

I never ever ventured through the doors of the club, but aged 19 in the 60's I dated one of the girls from the club for a short while. I actually met her in Manzoni gardens in the Bull Ring one glorious summers day.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
No never been in there I have heard of it but for the life of me can't remember where it was. I know it was somewhere in the city centre or there about.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

jamesm

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:58:38 PM »
Jamesm

The Dolls Club has been mentioned many times on the forum, in particular on this thread,

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=466.msg587704#msg587704

I never ever ventured through the doors of the club, but aged 19 in the 60's I dated one of the girls from the club for a short while. I actually met her in Manzoni gardens in the Bull Ring one glorious summers day.
I met a girl at a party who worked at the Dolls club her name was Monique. Whether it was her "professional" name or not I don't know but she was a charming young lady and lovely company.

jamesm

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »
No never been in there I have heard of it but for the life of me can't remember where it was. I know it was somewhere in the city centre or there about.
Located just by the flyover at Bordesley/ Deritend.

townie

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
Wasn't that the Nightingale? A puffs club.

vamann

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 07:53:07 AM »
No Townie that was the Dolls club, at least in the middle sixties it was :)

countrylad

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »
Never went in there but can remember passing it on the bus in my early teens. Did it change its name to Daddy Longlegs in the 70's?

townie

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »
I'm sure somewhere around Camp Hill was a club called The Nightingale early 70s.

countrylad

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »
townie, just had a look on the net. There is a Nightingale club in Brum in Kent Street. It is an LBGT venue. I found a write-up from Timeout, not sure exactly when it was written, but it does say that Nightingales ( affectionately known as Gales) after several moves in the last four decades that the club is doing well.

Not yet come across any of the previous venues, so possibly could have been sited by the Dolls club at sometime

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »
Countrylad

I think it was called Daddy Long Legs for a short while before it closed down in the early 70's though it was never recorded a such in the trade directory's. Previous to being the Dolls club it was the 113 Club.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy