Author Topic: Old Maps of Birmingham  (Read 3373 times)

Miss

Old Maps of Birmingham
« on: June 24, 2017, 04:52:10 PM »
I have found some ancestors living in Carlisle Terrace, Benacre Street in the 1861 census.  I know this street no longer exists but wondered if there are any old maps online which would show me where it was.  From reading other posts I gather it was near Hope Street and in the Balsall heath area of Brum.  Is that correct?  Although my parents and many of my ancestors were from Brum I hardly know it at all!

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Old Maps of Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 06:06:12 PM »
Hi Miss

Welcome to you, you don't need that old a map to locate Benacre Street as it didn't disappear until the early 60's. The attached section of map shows the location and surroundings at that time. It ran from Gooch Street across Sherlock Street and ended at Bristol Street. Carlisle Terrace might be a little more difficult to locate as most of the maps only name a few of the terraces and they are mostly just numbered. I'll have a look and see if I can come up with anything further, as I'm sure will Mikejee when logs on the forum. If you type Benacre Street in the forum search box at the top right of the page you will find quite a few posts concerning the street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Miss

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
Thank you!

mikejee

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:07 PM »
Miss
Have examined the census and , although Carlisle Terrace is not on the c1889 map,( the earliest large scale map) the position on the census shows it was on the site of what , in 1889 and after, was called court 13. In 1861 it would probably have been an open terrace, like the Alma Terrace next to it, but between 186 and the c1889 map a building was built at the front, leaving only a narrow covered entrance to the remaining terrace. some houses also seem to have disappeared from the terrace, as there are 7 houses in the 1861 census. On the c1951 map, the frontage and soem houses appear to have been destroyed by  bombing, but nos 2,3,5,6 & 7 remained, though, of course, all now gone.

Miss

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 10:11:35 AM »
Thank you! Interesting how things change!

Brook Fields

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 02:57:56 AM »
Phil and mikejee: can you tell me the source of the two maps shown on this thread?
Are they available on line or at the library?
I had found a detailed map of old Birmingham on Mapseeker, but the site seems to be defunct.
Thanks!

mikejee

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
Brookfields
I believe Phil's map is from an old A-Z. My map is from the old maps website at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/. Not sure what you can see on it if you are not a subscriber now. Some old maps are available on http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/index.html

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Brook Fields

Mike is quite correct about my map it comes from a Geographica map of greater Birmingham from around the late 50's early 60's I would imagine though it is not dated. I picked up several such maps on Ebay and although on good nick then they are pretty tatty now through use. They were quite cheap and only cost a few pounds including postage, There are quite a few still available to be had and the site is well worth a look.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Brook Fields

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 10:41:52 PM »
Thanks, guys! I was disappointed that the Mapseeker site seemed to have closed. The map of Birmingham they featured showed all the individual houses, and labelled larger buildings (i.e. malthouse ).
Had seen another on another site, equally detailed, which even showed the house numbers (!).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy