Author Topic: Living in Birmingham  (Read 4312 times)

MALKIN

Living in Birmingham
« on: July 05, 2017, 06:47:29 AM »
Here is an old photo taken in 1947 of my Dad, Jack Malkin and next door neighbour, John Maitland, clearing the deep snow away on the pavement outside my house and shops in Sladepool Farm Road

MALKIN

Living in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:25:34 AM »

When the Queens Coronation took place in 1953.All the residents of Sladepool Farm Road Birmingham, took part in a street party. There was a fancy dress competition and I won first prize for the outfit that represented the coronation best of all. Everyone in the street received a certificate to say they had taken part. Attached is a photo of the certificate. I wonder if anyone else still has the certificate.

MALKIN

Living in Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:40:15 AM »

In 1949 when I was 6 years old my Dad got me to join the Colin Cadbury Club for kids. I was given a small book and inside was a outline of a shield with 4 segments in. The idea was that I had to do 4 acts of Chivalry and earn 4 stickers to complete the shield. I did this but cant remember how. Can anyone else remember this. I have also found a Bournville biscuit tin which was given as a souvenier.

MALKIN

Living in Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »

Here is a photo of the Bournville Biscuit tin that I previously wrote about.

MALKIN

Re: Living in Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »

These are the photos of the Colin Cadbury Club Booklet that I had

townie

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
That's a nice old biscuit tin Malkin probably worth a bob or 2
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

MALKIN

Living in Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 03:54:13 AM »

When I lived in Birmingham in the 1950's my dad gave me a coin which was encased in a aluminium disc. I have just found this in some old boxes and wonder if anyone has ever come across such a coin. Its a Farthing dated 1929 and is in absolutely mint condition having never been in circulation. The inscription around one side of the disc says." Apollo. Tyburn Road. Birmingham.' On the reverse side it says." Keep me and you will never be broke " George the 5th is on one side of the coin.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
Hi Malkin

I'm making a very big assumption here, but I am guessing that they are part of some sort of a promotion that was run by the Apollo Cinema. The only thing I can't work out is that you say your father gave it you in the 50's and farthings were still legal tender until 1961. The Apollo itself closed in 1960 before they stopped being legal tender. It would be very unusual for any organisation to alter any coin of the realm was still legal tender in this way unless the farthing is not permanently fixed in the aluminium surround.

As for your question, I have certainly never seen one of these before, though I have seen many coins that have been formed into items of jewellery.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 11:28:28 PM »
Hi Malkin

We had an objection to your posts "Living in Birmingham" being on different threads, so I have put them all together on one thread. I realise being new to the forum that it takes a little getting used to, so don't let it worry you as there is no harm done, but if you have any further recollections on living in Birmingham could you add them here rather than start another thread.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy