Author Topic: Pub in Hick St  (Read 4171 times)

cocacolakid

Pub in Hick St
« on: July 09, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »
Can anyone tell me the name of the pub that used to be in Hick St, corner of Highgate St, B.heath, please.

Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Pub in Hick St
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »
Malc

Could it be the Wellington Inn at 35 Hick Street?  Sorry I don't have a photo to hand.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »
Phil..

Thanks for reply.  The large building on the corner, is where the pub in question used to be. The writing is not too clear, but it looks like The Wellington, that answers the question. Do you have more of the plan? I would like to be able to see the names of the terraces to the right, & the house numbers in them, if poss.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 08:09:26 PM »
Malc

I'll take a look for you and see what I can find.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:19:34 PM »
cocacolakid. Have you got the correct street. I have found a pub called the Wellington but that was in Bishop Street.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »
Malc

Here is a littler bigger map for you, for those of us who Balsall Heath was their back yard we know there were 3 other Wellington's with a short walk of the Wellington on Hick Street that you asked for. The Wellington on Balsall Heath Road, The Wellinton on Gooch Street and the Wellington on Bristol Street and If I'm honest with you Malc the only one I would have had to look up was the one you were looking for because I used the other three at one time or another.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »
cocacolakid. Have you got the correct street. I have found a pub called the Wellington but that was in Bishop Street.

townie..

I wanted to know the name of the pub that was in Hick St, Balsall Heath. Phils plan shows the street & the name of the pub in the spot I mentioned, as being The Wellington. I guess there were a number of pubs named The Wellington around. Thanks for your interest, townie.

cocacolakid

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
Phil..

Thanks for the plan, that's great. Yes, there were others Wellington pubs around. The one in B/heath Rd, corner of Mary St. was the Duke of Wellington, but always known as just The Wellington. My first steady girlfriends parents ran it, they were Bernard & Rene Bates, they moved from there to the Cannon Hill pub, then to one in Stoney lane, then the Dog Pool, in Stirchly

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 09:12:31 PM »
Malc

I used all of those as well, what was the name of the one on Stoney Lane as I more than likely used that. The Cannon was a lively pub in the 60's,  when did they manage that one. I was in and out of the Dogpool in the 70's and the Highbury but I was never a regular in any of them.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »
Phil..

I can't recall the name of the one in Stony Lane, I will get back to you on that if I can find it. As for dates, I can't say. The Bates moved to these various pubs after their Daughter Irene and I went our separate ways, In fact, when I was going with Irene, they were living in Orchard Rd, which ran between Belgrave Rd & Sherbourne Rd. It would have been 1959 when they moved to the Wellington, I guess, but after that I don't know dates of other moves. I only know they went to the other pubs after speaking to a friend of Irenes brother.  Irene eventually married a barman from the wellington, named Patrick Dunn. 1962 I believe.
                                                                                                              Malc,                                                                                                                                                                                                 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »
was it the lion and lamb or the lamb and lion  it was on the corner Stoney lain and Highgate road 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy