Author Topic: Pub in Hick St  (Read 4170 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Pub in Hick St
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
Roy

It could have only been the Lion & Lamb or the Royal Oak as they were the only pubs on Stoney Lane.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 10:48:28 PM »
Roy..

The pub in question was on the next corner down Stoney Lane from Highgate Rd, which was Alfred St.

Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

cocacolakid

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 11:01:56 PM »
Phil & Roy..

Just checked, It was The Royal Oak on Stoney Lane.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »
Malc

The reason I was asking about the Royal Oak was because of this post a few weeks back.

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1090.msg587929#msg587929
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »
Phil..

I have read the link you sent, regarding the Royal Oak pub. Personally, I know nothing about the pub, I never used any pubs in my youth, cafe's were my scene, drank gallons of Coca Cola, hence the nick name I got, and use on the forum. Very rarely go in a pub, except a pub restaurant now and then. I can't help the person, except to say that from info I have, the pub was run by Bernard & Rene Bates , mid to late 60s, after that they ran the Dogpool. I can confirm that they are both now dead. Sadly, Rene died in 1983, after being electrocuted whilst using an electric drill in the bathroom.
                                                                                                                         Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 05:04:21 PM »
Malc

Pity that, I've no idea what the enquirer wanted, though I would have liked to help out if possible. The trouble is the only pub in the Sparkbrook - Balsall Heath area I could ever claimed to have been a regular in was the Talbot at the top of Larches Street. Then for a while the Hereford in Kyrwicks Lane. Though I certainly used most of the others at one time or another.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 07:04:21 PM »
Phil..

I know of the Talbot, I spent many happy hours in Larches St & Larches Passage, in my youth, as I had friends there. You & I have talked about this in the past, the Cupples girls for instance.

Malc.     

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 07:16:29 PM »
Malc

As I said then when I knew Micky Cupples I didn't even realise he had sisters. Did I ask you if you knew Brian Fieldhouse who lived on the Larches Street corner of the passage?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 07:27:39 PM »
Phil..

I can't remember if you asked me about Brian Fieldhouse Living There, or not. However, I did know a Brian Fieldhouse, He was in my class at Dennis Rd, but I am sure he lived in a road off Ladypool Rd that went down to Stony Lane, I recall he knew a girl by the name of Anne Warwick, who's nick name was Hagsey/Hagsie. Could this be the same Brian?  When did Brian live in Larches? maybe the family moved there at a time after we were at Dennis Rd?
                                                                                                              Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
Phil..

I can't remember if you asked me about Brian Fieldhouse Living There, or not. However, I did know a Brian Fieldhouse, He was in my class at Dennis Rd, but I am sure he lived in a road off Ladypool Rd that went down to Stony Lane, I recall he knew a girl by the name of Anne Warwick, who's nick name was Hagsey/Hagsie. Could this be the same Brian?  When did Brian live in Larches? maybe the family moved there at a time after we were at Dennis Rd?
                                                                                                              Malc.

Malc

You know it's so long ago now, I might be getting a little mixed up myself because there were other mates that lived in Studley Street & Alfred Street which are as you describe. Though I'm sure the Fieldhouse's lived at number 19, it would have been about 1950/60 when they moved out it was somewhere out of Birmingham. As the Brian I'm talking about was the same age as myself that would mean you would have been at Dennis Road at the same time as me and in the same year.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 09:29:12 PM »
Phil..

It would have ben 1954 & 5 that the Brian Fieldhouse I knew, was in the same class as me at Dennis Rd. Not sure after that if we were still in the same class as each other, but we would have both left school in 1958.
                                                                                                          Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy