Author Topic: Gooch Street Post Office  (Read 320 times)

lindsay17

Gooch Street Post Office
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:00:53 PM »
My Gt Gt Grandad ran the post office at 176 Gooch street in the early 1900's, I wondered if anyone had any photo's of that part of Gooch Street or knows anything about it.

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Gooch Street Post Office
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
Hi Lidsay

Welcome to you, until I read your post I didn't even realise that there were two post offices on Gooch Street. The one I knew of and used on occasion was the one next to Woolworths and was replaced in the 70's with a new one in more or less the same position. I'm sorry I haven't got an image of the section of Gooch Street where your grandfathers post office was which was just past Barford Street heading toward Sherlock Street.
Make Love Not War

lindsay17

Re: Gooch Street Post Office / Lincoln street
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »
Thanks Phil, it was a bit of a longshot ! Earlier than that, in 1881 he was at 54 Norton Street, which looking at old maps appears to have been renamed Lincoln Street between 1891 and 1901. Anyone got any idea when those houses were demolished ?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 08:13:34 PM »
Hi Lindsay

Yes they did indeed rename Norton Street to Lincoln Street just before the 1900's though I think the houses were the same ones that were demolished in the early 70's. We have a member on here by the name of Mikejee who photographed parts of Balsall Heath being demolished at that time.

This is one of his photos I think it is the nearest one to number 54 that Mike took, and I think it shows the Balfour Street junction where there were advertising hoardings after a bomb took out the corner during the war. the house on left would be number 59 (see the attached map).
Make Love Not War

lindsay17

Re: Gooch Street Post Office/Lincoln Street
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 09:08:15 PM »
Thank you Mikejee for taking the time to document the area  :) so well. I can see from the 1891 census that the family that lived at number 54 then had four rooms, looking at the map below your post were these houses effectively back to backs ? My 2x Gt Grandfather was a postal sorter in 1881 then became a publican then went back to work for the post office by 1901. He was hugely involved in the Birchfield Harriers and I'm attempting to write a bit of a history. Thanks Phil

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 09:48:43 PM »
Lindsay

No these houses fronting Lincoln Road were not of the back to back type though they do look as if they had some terrace housing at the rear. Mostly these houses had two living rooms on the ground floor and two bedrooms upstairs. You can see that some of the houses in the street had a rear wing building which if it was two storey would have a further small bedroom upstairs and a scullery type kitchen on the ground floor. Though the house you are concerned with never had that added facility and looking at older maps it seems the one next door was added at a later date.
Make Love Not War

lindsay17

Re: Gooch Street Post Office/Lincoln Street
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »
Thanks Phil, I can now see what you mean from the map.
 In the Kelly’s Directory of Birmingham dated 1888, he is also listed under Beer Retailers at two addresses, 292 Victoria Road, Aston Park and 127 Upper Thomas Street, Aston Manor so that's my next investigation. Perhaps he was a postal worker and a publican !

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 11:11:50 PM »
Lindsay

I think you may find that those two addresses are one and the same. The beer retailer at 292 Victoria Road eventually became a fully licensed public house called The Princess Royal and it was at the junction of Victoria Road and Upper Thomas Street and it looks very like the Upper Thomas Street number would have been 127. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the pub in my collection, but I will have a look around and see if I can come up with one.
Make Love Not War

lindsay17

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 12:28:43 AM »
You are a mine of information Phil, I was still tracking down where Upper Thomas Street was on the National Library of Scotland map website, where do you get your map images from ? None of the ones I have seen have that level of detail on.