Author Topic: Help - sorry little info  (Read 6605 times)

Bigg1982

Re: Help - sorry little info
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 05:16:25 PM »
Bigg At what age did your mom leave Balsall Heath as iv said before she  may not remember them.

So from a list I found it says:

St Martins Flats 108 and 115 - until 7
48 Shushtoke Road - 7-11
33 Arbor Road/Way - 11-14

:-)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
I knew the Emily Arms well enough to have an occasional pint in there in the 60's. It was originally on the corner of Emily Street and Dymoke Street. When they built the flats they built them right up to the back of the pub. In fact the Phyllis Nicklin photo you have with children playing would have been taken from outside the Emily.

In the 70's they finally demolished the Emily and replaced it on the diagonally opposite corner of Dymoke Street, but it was never the same and after a while they renamed it The Hideout, but it didn't stop it from closing. Now as with as lot of closed public houses it is a community centre.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »
I'm sorry but you have completely lost me, all I can do is try and help with Shard End. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Bigg1982

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 05:58:53 PM »
I'm sorry but you have completely lost me, all I can do is try and help with Shard End.

Sorry my fault for being so vague with information.

You mentioned another picture you may have had opposite the wasteland?? Of shushtoke road??

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me, as frustrating as it may be :-)

Bigg1982

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »
I knew the Emily Arms well enough to have an occasional pint in there in the 60's. It was originally on the corner of Emily Street and Dymoke Street. When they built the flats they built them right up to the back of the pub. In fact the Phyllis Nicklin photo you have with children playing would have been taken from outside the Emily.

In the 70's they finally demolished the Emily and replaced it on the diagonally opposite corner of Dymoke Street, but it was never the same and after a while they renamed it The Hideout, but it didn't stop it from closing. Now as with as lot of closed public houses it is a community centre.

Thanks Phil some good info there :-)

Is chelmmsley wood far from where these were?? As that was my mums next place of living. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 06:15:53 PM »

Thanks Phil some good info there :-)

Is chelmmsley wood far from where these were?? As that was my mums next place of living.

It's pretty far from Highgate (St Martins Flats were in what is now called Highgate). Though Chelmsley Wood is not quite so far from Shard End.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »
The trouble with Chelmsley Wood most of it is too new for me to have collected any photos, looking on Google Earth I see most of the odd numbers on Arbour Way are up little groves where the Google car couldn't get to. Take a look for yourself.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4759725,-1.7357519,3a,75y,18.3h,82.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAuIlW4lv9lfqLKTar2XsJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 07:07:02 PM »
Hi Bigg 1982

Not sure if I will help or hinder your search of things for your mom. I lived on Chelmsley form 1968 - 1976. I didn't know your Mom, although I would have lived about 15 or 20 minutes walk away from where she lived and she would be a couple of years younger than I. There are some great old pictures of Chelmsley wood from back in the day on the net. Just Google Old Chelmsley Wood photos.

You may already know what I am about to say. Your Mom may have attended Whitesmore Comp school on Chapelhouse Road after Timberley. She probably started when the school was opened, which would have been 1969/70. When they opened they only took 1st, 2nd and third year (in old money) pupils. There are a few photos of Whitesmore and the area on the forum under Tilecross thread

Although your Mom would not have been officially old engough to go into pubs before she left Brum, most of us kids were hanging around the pubs at 12 and 13 years of age. She would have lived near the Happy Trooper pub, which was in a small shopping precinct off Greenlands road. I think there is a picture on this forum under old pubs of brum. There was also a Chippy there where she probably went, nice Chicken curry, with proper slices of chicken.

She would have visited the town centre, a few minutes away from where she lived, the Hard Rock disco was in the centre. Loads of pictures on the net of Chelmsley town centre.  She may have had a Saturday job in one of the many shops as there was always work for us kids. Do you know if she did? Would be great if you could get a picture of the shop.

The queen visited Chelmsley Wood to Officially open the library and shopping centre in 1971.  This was a big day for Chelmsley wood, the council any areas by the road side that would be grassed over were sprayed with green paint rather than leaving brown earth. If your mom was still on Chelmsley Wood at the time I am sure she would remember the visit (day off school)! Again pictures on the net   

The Round House was another local pub that let in the very young, disco on a Wednesday night. The Friendly Inn not far along the brook from there.

She may have played in Allcote Woods, this was between Gloucester Way and Moorend Avenue, again pictures on the net. 

Not sure if this info helps, but if there is any thing specific you want to ask about Chelmsley Wood please get back to me, memories are fading, but you never know
countrylad 

Bigg1982

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 10:35:02 PM »
So got a bit more from my Mum today.

She did go to Whitesmore comprehensive.

When she lived on shushtoke road it was opposite what she said was a Lorry Park.

She lived on Arbor Way in Chelmsley wood, she described it as moving into a brand new house after living on Shushtoke road.

Her Dad was called Fred William Kight, his second wife was called Rose.  He died in 1987 and lived in Birmingham his whole life. 

Littlesis

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
Hi, I think there is a St Martins Flats group on Facebook, seem to remember Highgatonions or Old Highgatonions. They might be able to help, with people that knew her and pictures.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy