Author Topic: Help - sorry little info  (Read 6600 times)

Bigg1982

Help - sorry little info
« on: July 15, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read.  My Mother was born in Birmingham in 1958.  Her 60th being next year I'm trying to pull together pics info on the area she lived/was brought up in.

Her own mum left her as Baby with her aunt and was moved around a lot.  Though a few conversations I know the following.  If anyone can give me any details or places to look for further info that would be great.

Borsell heath - st martins flats Shard end .. [/font][/size]
 48 shushtoke road [/font][/size]
Timberley primary school (assume 60s)

If anyone has any pics of the area in the late 50s/60s please get in contact.

I know it's vague but trying to do something nice so all help appreciated :-)

townie

Re: Help - sorry little info
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 10:09:07 PM »
Hi Bigg 1982 You give some information but you don't say her name. I was at Timberley in the 60s and I knew a few people who lived in Shustoke Road. You will find many photos of Shard End on the Shard End thread.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Bigg1982

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »
Hi Townie

Of course that would help 🙈🙈🙈

My mums name was (as she's married now) Colleen Kight.

Will have a look for that thread :-)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »
Hi Bigg1982

Welcome to the forum

If you look here you will find some very good photographs of St Martins Flats in the 50's taken by Phyllis Nicklin. They would be much better than the quality and resolution than you could obtain on the forum. In the meantime I'll see what else I can come up with.

http://epapers.bham.ac.uk/309/
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bigg1982

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 10:24:53 PM »
Hi Bigg1982

Welcome to the forum

If you look here you will find some very good photographs of St Martins Flats in the 50's taken by Phyllis Nicklin. They would be much better than the quality and resolution than you could obtain on the forum. In the meantime I'll see what else I can come

Awesome Phil thanks :-)

My mums Dads name was William, his wife was Mabel and my mums aunt was Dorothy.  My mum often says her Dad would drink at a local pub and she'd play outside.

If that helps at all :-)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 10:45:16 PM »
Bigg

If you are talking of a pub local to St Martins Flats then if you can give me the name or location I will more than likely have a photo of it. Here are a few more of St Martins Flats, you can see what I mean about the quality and resolution. Did you get copies of all three Phyllis Nicklin photos of St Martins, try looking on that site for other images that you might need as she got all over Birmingham.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bigg1982

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 11:21:23 PM »
Bigg

If you are talking of a pub local to St Martins Flats then if you can give me the name or location I will more than likely have a photo of it. Here are a few more of St Martins Flats, you can see what I mean about the quality and resolution. Did you get copies of all three Phyllis Nicklin photos of St Martins, try looking on that site for other images that you might need as she got all over Birmingham.

Yea got 4 pics from there thanks :-)

Thanks for yours as well,

Will ask a few more questions somehow tomorrow, trying to put something together as a surprise as she doesn't have many pics from her childhood. 

townie

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 12:31:32 AM »
Brigg 1982. If your mom went to Timberley in the 60s and she was born in 58. I don't think there would be much that she remembers about living in St Martins flats. Drop some hints as for the flats forget them.  O0
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

astoness

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:42:10 AM »
hi bigg and welcome to the forum..i see you have some good shots of st martins flats already so i will go through my files today to see if i have any of shustoke road...as you most likely know its all new build now..will also have a look for any of timberley school O0

lyn

Bigg1982

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »
hi bigg and welcome to the forum..i see you have some good shots of st martins flats already so i will go through my files today to see if i have any of shustoke road...as you most likely know its all new build now..will also have a look for any of timberley school O0

lyn

To be honest I didn't know it was new builds. Think my mum moved from Birmingham when she was 13. 

So I assume the flats have been pulled down too?? Thanks for your help

astoness

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »
not too sure if st martins flats are still there...will try and find out unless someone on here can tell us..

lyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy