Author Topic: Date of Shop opening in Rubery, B,ham.  (Read 1666 times)

cocacolakid

Date of Shop opening in Rubery, B,ham.
« on: July 21, 2017, 06:21:28 PM »
Does anyone have the means to find out when a shop in Longwood Rd, Rubery first opened. It was a V.G self service shop, proprietor was Kathleen Jeffries.  Thanks.
                                                                                                            Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Date of Shop opening in Rubery, B,ham.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »
Malc

What sort of period are we talking about, because I can't find it in the trade directory's and they finish with 73/74.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
Phil..

Thanks for your response.  It would be 1961 t0 63 period. I am trying to find exact year the shop was opened. There was only one shop and an outdoor in Longwood Rd.
                                                                                                              Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
Malc

All I say is that they couldn't have been there that long because they don't seem to have got recorded in the trade directories. I checked out Stonecroft Avenue, and Stilthouse Grove as well in case they were on the corners and were recorded in those roads, but no sign there either.

I also looked under the name Jefferies as well, but no joy there either the closest grocer by that name was a J W HJeffries at 711 Bristol Road South and that's up by Bell Lane.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 11:04:17 AM »
Phil..

I have sent you a personal message, I am happy for you to reply on the open forum, just in case anyone else has any info, thanks.
                                                                                                                   Malc. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »
Malc

I have read your message, and I also cannot understand why the shop or the outdoor didn't get registered in the trade directories either. The only thing I can think of is that the shop owners never bothered to complete the registration form when sent them by the trade directory.

I would think you now need to find someone with access to the electoral register or the 1971 census they might have a chance of tracking the dates you want down. Do you know the correct postal address of the shop in question?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 09:05:37 PM »
Phil..

I don't know if my mother or the outdoor people registered their shops or not.  As for the address, it was 4. Longwood Rd, Rubery , Rednal, B,ham. B.45
                                                                                                            Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 09:36:18 PM »
Malc

These extracts are copied from Kellys Trade Directory and shows what was listed for Longwood Road for 1963 up to 1970 and it remains the same up to 1974 when the directory's ceased.

LONG WOOD ROAD, Rednal,
Stonecroft avenue.
MAP T 13.
No thoroughfare.
1-37
6-54

LONGWOOD ROAD, Rednal,
Stonecroft avenue
MAP T 13.
No thoroughfare.
1-37
6-54

1967/68
LONGWOOD ROAD, Rednal,
Stonecroft avenue.
MAP T13.
No thoroughfare.
1-37
6-54

1969/70
LONG WOOD ROAD, Rednal,
Stonecroft avenue.
MAP T 13.
No thoroughfare.
1-37
6-54
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »
Phil..

Thanks for that, it seems I will have to go into the central library, next time I am in central Brum. There may be some council records there?
                                                                                                                  Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy