Author Topic: Industrial Birmingham  (Read 7989 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Industrial Birmingham
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2019, 01:52:05 PM »
Wide wheels DO NOT out-perform narrow and in some cases (notably in the snow and wet) they can be inferior, ........
Peg.
I finished at mid-day at Mayflower (was  Motor Panels), Coventry, on a Friday, and I made my way home to Sutton Coldfield, there'd been a snowfall but no serious delays on the M6 and M42, then I turned of at The Belfry Island and took the London Rd, then I made a bad call, I turned left on to Ox Leys Rd, a lane that led to the Anvil Pub on the SE outskirts of Sutton and soon I was battling with deepish snow, I made slow but sure progress and then I came to the brow of a hill, the road sloped down from me with a LH bend at the bottom, I descended but as soon as I touched the brakes the wheels locked and I lost steering, my XR3i's wide wheels, acting like snowshoes, just sat on top of the snow and I continued to descend at an alarming rate.
I was sure my fate had been written and had resigned myself to having a very close encounter with the pub sign on the bend, but then at the very last second my front wheels found just enough grip on a bit of bare tacmac to get me around the bend. O0
Peg.   

astoness

« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
Lyn

If you want send them to me and I will post them for you.

thanks phil i will email them to you O0

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2019, 03:00:45 PM »
Lyn

Here are your three photos, I'll leave it to you to add where each photo was taken.
Make Love Not War

astoness

« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »
cheers phil...the locations are underneath the photos O0

lyn

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
I like the photos Lyn - reminds me of when we rode from Santander to Lisbon with an organised tour - some of them were a bit mad though and two crashed.  Regarding re-sizing your photos, I used to use Tinypics but they have finished. However,I found Phil's post from a few years ago recommending 'Webresizer'    http://webresizer.com/ and it seems to work fine.
It is often possible to turn a setback to an advantage.

astoness

« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
thanks ian

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2019, 03:59:12 PM »
When Mrs Monkey first set eyes on Frank Bullitt's (Steve McQueen) Ford Mustang in the 1968 movie classic Bullitt it became her lifelong dream car, so how does the American Automotive Icon measure up to our own British Icon - The Jaguar E Type? .........
Peg.
P.S. In case you are wondering how the Jag compared so well with sportscars boasting a much bigger engine - it's all a question of the power to weight ratio, the Jag engineers tore up the rule book when they designed the E Type, intead of a front to back heavy chassis it had small  subframes front and rear resulting in a significant weight saving. O0

JudithM

« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2019, 01:15:42 PM »
E-Types are beautiful looking cars  :)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »
E-Types are beautiful looking cars  :)

Judith Back in the 60's it was my dream car 0-60 4.8secs albeit the 2+2 or 4.2 , only to be beaten by the AC Cobra in the mid to late 60's 0-60 4.4 secs
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »
Couldn't think what thread to raise this, but it is Birmingham & was industrial so.....  (mods, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread if necessary).

The Pelican Works on Great Hampton Street has been put on the 'Most At Risk of Ruin' list -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49675826

A great landmark, I hope that something can be done for it.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: September 13, 2019, 02:36:59 PM »
Judith

Sadly I don't think anything will be done about the Pelican building, like so many other buildings that are listed the owners cannot afford the expense of keeping them up to the required standard. There have been West Midlands buildings listed on the Victorian Societies "At Risk" lists every year for the last 10 years and I can't think of any that have been put right yet.

https://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/news/victorian-society-top-10-most-endangered-buildings-2019

To name 2 that I don't even think are on the list, The Golden Lion Cannon Hill Park, and Great Barr Hall, Great Barr. The way these two buildings have been allowed to deteriorate is disgusting.
Make Love Not War