Author Topic: Industrial Birmingham  (Read 9726 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Industrial Birmingham
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »
Couldn't control the cars at Speed .nearly killed himself twice.Supposed to have been a good driver.A lot of supposed good drivers have died.Werent very good tho were they.

Spud

« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2019, 05:06:04 PM »
Mini Cooper S had a mooch round the Net as already said the 'S' does really seem mean anything there was some talk in the early days that John Cooper and Mini Designer  Alec Issigonis had a bit of a fall out and Cooper added the 'S' meaning Special.
The Only Free Cheese is in  The Trap

Peg Monkey

« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2019, 08:57:44 AM »
OK folks, a pub quiz style question is long overdue, right? What does 'S' stand for in Mini Cooper S? (original model, not the new one) Feel free to search the web far and wide - many have tried to answer, many have failed.
Hint: Top Gear Presenter Richard Hammond got it wrong. :-\
Peg.
It's fair to say the evidence on the net is largely rhetorical and that wont change after my expert(?) witness testimony, some have suggested S for Supercharged, no Mini came off the production line with a supercharger as far as I know. S for Sport? The obvious choice (and Richard Hammond's on Top Gear), so what is the truth?
It was 1970 and about the time I was due to finish my GKN Birfield Apprenticeship, At Salisbury Transmission Ltd, when my boss of the day, who had worked at British Leyland, arranged a visit for me to BL's Tractor and Transmissions Factory, Drews Lane, Washwood Heath. I was treated to a 1:1 VIP tour by the official factory guide and during the tour we approached an assembly area where the guide explained: These half shafts are for The Cooper Special.
So, what was The Mini Cooper S? The Cooper was a high performance version of The Mini and The Cooper S was a high peformance version of The Cooper.
Peg.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2019, 09:14:37 AM »
..........So does any of this affect our everyday lives? ........ :-[
Peg.
If I need a new tyre within the next few months I think I'm gonna ask Mrs Monkey to go to the dealers. :-[
Peg.