Author Topic: Industrial Birmingham  (Read 38611 times)

countrylad

Re: Industrial Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 08:08:55 PM »
JudithM, that Solihull building that disappeared over night wouldn't have been a 16th century barn by any chance near Monkspath would it?
Countrylad

JudithM

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
JudithM, that Solihull building that disappeared over night wouldn't have been a 16th century barn by any chance near Monkspath would it?
Countrylad

No, I think the one I have in my head might have been Silhill Hall, which was damaged in a storm & then demolished illegally despite having a preservation order & having been deemed repairable.

I have it in a book at home, so I'll check.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

townie

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »
Can anyone remember a factory that was on the corner of either Henrietta Street, Northwood Street, Cox Street in the Hockley area. I used to work there but for the life of me can't remember the name. It was a medium sized factory and they made fasteners. Thank you. If someone comes up with the name I would know it straight away. Hope I've got the correct streets this would have been in the late 60s early 70s I think. These roads were off livery Street or Constitution Hill as I can remember walking that way.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

ironside

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 08:46:09 PM »
Phil, was Ariel Motorcycles and Amal  Cabs. near B'ham Battery? Thanks

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »
ironside

As far as I understand Ariel motorcycles were on Grange Road in Bournbrook and that would be back toward the university round the back of the Bournbrook Hotel or the Goose as it's now called. Amal Cabs I don't know so I'll have to look it up, I'll be back later.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »
ironside

You will have to forgive me as I'm a complete idiot when it comes to motorcycles and what I know about them could be written on the back of a stamp. It's obviously Amal carburettors Ltd that you were looking for and not Amal Cabs. They were based at Holford Road Witton on the other side of Birmingham.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ironside

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 09:46:09 AM »
Thanks for that Phil, I have been trying to find out were Ariel was for yonks. Yes I did mean Amal Carburetors, There seems to be half a dozen ways of spelling it and cabs aint one. For some reason I thought Amal was near Ariel and owned by them.

townie

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »

Can anyone remember a factory that was on the corner of either Henrietta Street, Northwood Street, Cox Street in the Hockley area. I used to work there but for the life of me can't remember the name. It was a medium sized factory and they made fasteners. Thank you. If someone comes up with the name I would know it straight away. Hope I've got the correct streets this would have been in the late 60s early 70s I think. These roads were off livery Street or Constitution Hill as I can remember walking that way.

I think it may have been cox street but looking on google maps they are all flats now.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

ironside

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 04:43:08 PM »
 Was just looking at the thread on British Cars. Austin made cars for an American company, 60 odd years ago, probably because it was cheaper to have them made here and Britain had a name for quality products. A guy who had worked in USA said they were no good at making small things everything had to be big.
                I was talking to a machine tool fitter working on a power press I asked him about the company he worked for, and how the demise of industry had affected it, I had seen their vehicles about for years. He said it had been going for 150 years, he had bought the company but did not like sitting in an office, he liked to get his hands dirty. He said a lot of work had gone abroad, and in spite of being Indian he said **** India we want the work here. He said it will all come back anyway, the cost of transport will become prohibitive and people want quality. Another guy I was in hospital with was a toolroom kid when I knew him, he had opened a factory in India but spent 9 months a year there making sure they kept to the standards he required.
                Much to my surprise a lot of these companies given to foreign ownership, such as Jaguar Landrover, still prefer to produce here I thought they would ship the lot abroad.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
Like everything in this country if it's made by good old British workers  it soon gets snapped up by these people likeTATA and such,why can't governments stop this happening.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

ironside

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 10:52:59 AM »
Yes Edmund, The chocolate companies have been taken over mainly by the Swiss, yet they do not allow foreigners to buy their companies.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy