Author Topic: Industrial Birmingham  (Read 38616 times)

Hi De Hi

Re: Industrial Birmingham
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »
During my apprenticeship years 1965-70 Salisbury Transmission Ltd generously paid all my college fees, for which I am eternally grateful, few colleges can compete with the number of change of names the college had starting with Aston Technical College and I studied there under every name except the last one: Birmingham City University, which was adopted in 2007, my daughter followed in my footsteps and studied in the same faculty but she read Architecture whereas my discipline was Engineering Production.
Peg.
P.S. Sir Lenny Henry became Chancellor in 2016.

I studied at Birmingham Poly as a day release student in the 70s. My missus did a degree there as a mature student. When she started it was UCE but when she graduated it was BCU.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »
Day 1 at the apprentice school - we were told we needed to purchase a toolkit, the cost £4, a week's wages! The school kindly purchased a toolkit for each of us and we repaid by instalments - these were deducted from our wages. I still have the toolkit 53 years on, like me it's retired, it's missing some items, unfortunately, (I know I've still got the dividers in my garage somewhere) anyway there is a pic attached with a sketch where the item is missing.
Peg.   
My Grand dad was a toolmaker. He worked somewhere just off Bradford Street IIRC. When he died I acquired a wooden chest of his tools. I recognise some of the ones in your kit as he had the same ones in his chest.  They are all down in my work bench in the shed.

frederick

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »
When I was at collage the drawings we had to develop were called geometrical patern devlepment And calculations, I enjoyed it.    O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Hi De Hi

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
Found out recently that the Lucas name is still going. Although Lucas Industries is long gone there is a Lucas Europe company now trading with the name and logo.  I spoke with some of the management recently and they were very interested to learn of the company's history and keen to find out more.

mikejee

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2019, 11:49:46 PM »
That is good. But what is terrible is that they do not already know it.

Spud

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
I worked for Lucas for many years so I am always interested in the old Company. I was watching a programme on Motor Racing not sure if it was Formula 3  or wasn't taking that much notice until I spotted one of the drivers was sporting a old Lucas Logo in Green and White which I think belonged to Lucas Aerospace
Don't know if anyone is interested but the last of the Lucas Factories on the Shaftmoor Lane site has now been raised to the ground. BW5 Lucas Aero my old stamping ground has gone. Taken over by Rolls Royce Engines and relocated to a new site near Birmingham Airport
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Peg Monkey

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2019, 10:55:02 AM »
My old School, Harry Lucas (now long demolished) had cherished links with Lucas, more info': http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg658706#msg658706
Peg.
P.S. The school badge (left) incorporated Lucas lions.
Honed by the sands of time I am a different man to yesterday and will be different tomorrow.

It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
Upper RH in this shot of the Harry Lucas School is a glimpse of the Lucas Gt King St factory, then the flagship factory in The Joseph Lucas empire.
Peg.

JP Earle

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
It was ironic when my father, as a youngman, left his home town of Caerphilly, South Wales in the 40s to come to Birmingham to escape working down the pit that the only work he could get was down the mine at Hamstead Colliery, but it wasn't long before he got a job at a non-ferrous metal rolling mill: The old firm of Earle, Bourne and Co (became Delta Metals) where he spent most of his working life, on permanent nights: 4 nights per week, 12 hours per night. :-[
Peg.
Hello Peg I´m new in the forum. My  great grand fathed was John William Earle founder of Earle and Bourne in 1876. His son Kennet Luton Earle arrives to Bilbao, Spain in 1910 to be the Director of the new mill that E & B buy in 1895.
I have a lot of info about the mills and the history Earle and Bourne.

Sorry for the conditions of the workers!!!!, its part of  my family history ... and sorry for my english. !!!!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2019, 12:32:08 AM »
Hello Peg I´m new in the forum. My  great grand fathed was John William Earle founder of Earle and Bourne in 1876. His son Kennet Luton Earle arrives to Bilbao, Spain in 1910 to be the Director of the new mill that E & B buy in 1895.
I have a lot of info about the mills and the history Earle and Bourne.

Sorry for the conditions of the workers!!!!, its part of  my family history ... and sorry for my english. !!!!
Hi JP, welcome to The Forum, I found your connection E.B. most interesting.
Peg.
P.S. English? My second language - I was borne within metres of the Brummie accent epicentre - The Flat, Lodge Road, Hockley!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2019, 10:08:14 PM »
The day I was certified......
Peg.
Honed by the sands of time I am a different man to yesterday and I will be different tomorrow.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy