Author Topic: Industrial Birmingham  (Read 38622 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Industrial Birmingham
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
Lucas employees children's Christmas Parties - hosted without any regard for cost, my mate's dad worked at Lucas and I substituted for him one Christmas when he couldn't go....... link:
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14929.msg676749#msg676749
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Scipio

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2019, 10:06:53 PM »
Peg when I was at working age 15 I could leave one job and start another the next day. In the early 70s I lived on town I didn't need to work. Somewhere on this forum I posted how life was, but I wouldn't change a thing. I don't think many on this forum would have lived on town, but they know all about it.

Townie only just noticed this in the 60's you couldn't get me out of town
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Spud

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »
Just going back to Peg Monkey's post and Lucas Children's Christmas Parties as a old Lucasite yes the Company did fork out some cash but through out the year raffles were run in every Lucas Factory to help pay for the Parties. At Lucas Shaftmoor Lane we also helped sponsor a Ward at the Old Summerfield Hospital.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

frederick

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »
Spud,
My mum worked at Lucas Shaftsmore lane and I used to go to those Christmas parties.     O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

townie

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »

Scipio see you on clubs of the 60s and 70s or old pubs of Brum threads.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »
My Grandfather worked at Foremans Road for most of his working life in the bakelite moulding shop. He died writhing in agony riddled with cancer in his chest bones, which of course wasn't caused by the asbestos used in the manufacture of bakelite. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2019, 03:53:44 PM »
Lucas - where it all began..........
Peg.

It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Scipio

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »

Scipio see you on clubs of the 60s and 70s or old pubs of Brum threads.

Okey Dokey
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Hi De Hi

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2019, 10:36:40 AM »
I worked for Lucas for many years so I am always interested in the old Company. I was watching a programme on Motor Racing not sure if it was Formula 3  or wasn't taking that much notice until I spotted one of the drivers was sporting a old Lucas Logo in Green and White which I think belonged to Lucas Aerospace
Don't know if anyone is interested but the last of the Lucas Factories on the Shaftmoor Lane site has now been raised to the ground. BW5 Lucas Aero my old stamping ground has gone. Taken over by Rolls Royce Engines and relocated to a new site near Birmingham Airport
I worked at BW5 all through the 80s. First in the Chem lab and then on the shop floor in the plating and rubber moulding shops.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2019, 10:43:03 AM »
Lucas - where it all began..........
Peg.
I recall being sent on a 4 week course when I became a foreman. One part of the course was about the history of the company. At that time the company still owned 'Hilver' which was Harry Lucas' house in Moseley.Harry was Joe's son and was the one who turned it from a small company into a large one.  The house was named for his two children Hillary and Oliver! We were taken on a visit. Half way up the stairs was a pulpit where Harry would deliver Sunday sermons to the family and staff.  The guy who ran the class was the official company historian. When he stated that Joe Lucas was buried in the Parish Church of St Agatha's I wasn't sure whether to believe this as the Parish church for Moseley is St Mary's. So on a break I popped down to St Mary's and persuaded the verger to get the records out for the beginning of the 20th century and sure enough there was the record of Joe being buried at St Mary's (1904 I think). Sadly the grave is now unmarked as the graveyard was cleared later in the century to make room for more burials.  He is in there somewhere but not marked.  I have no idea what happened to the gravestone.

Spud

« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2019, 01:30:55 PM »
Hi De Hi
Reckon we must have crossed paths In BW5 I was there from 1967 to 1997 You must have known the likes of John Freeman Ken Wells Ron Bckett Mike Aston Peter Box Stan Forgeham  etc from the Lab seem to remember Terry from the Plating shop As regards Joe Lucas as you say he was Buried in St Marys Moseley but I think that he  actually died in Italy from Typhoid
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy