Author Topic: Industrial Birmingham  (Read 38644 times)

astoness

Re: Industrial Birmingham
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
Lyn

If you want send them to me and I will post them for you.

thanks phil i will email them to you O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2019, 03:00:45 PM »
Lyn

Here are your three photos, I'll leave it to you to add where each photo was taken.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »
cheers phil...the locations are underneath the photos O0

lyn

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
I like the photos Lyn - reminds me of when we rode from Santander to Lisbon with an organised tour - some of them were a bit mad though and two crashed.  Regarding re-sizing your photos, I used to use Tinypics but they have finished. However,I found Phil's post from a few years ago recommending 'Webresizer'    http://webresizer.com/ and it seems to work fine.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

astoness

« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
thanks ian

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2019, 03:59:12 PM »
When Mrs Monkey first set eyes on Frank Bullitt's (Steve McQueen) Ford Mustang in the 1968 movie classic Bullitt it became her lifelong dream car, so how does the American Automotive Icon measure up to our own British Icon - The Jaguar E Type? .........
Peg.
P.S. In case you are wondering how the Jag compared so well with sportscars boasting a much bigger engine - it's all a question of the power to weight ratio, the Jag engineers tore up the rule book when they designed the E Type, intead of a front to back heavy chassis it had small  subframes front and rear resulting in a significant weight saving. O0
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

JudithM

« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2019, 01:15:42 PM »
E-Types are beautiful looking cars  :)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »
E-Types are beautiful looking cars  :)

Judith Back in the 60's it was my dream car 0-60 4.8secs albeit the 2+2 or 4.2 , only to be beaten by the AC Cobra in the mid to late 60's 0-60 4.4 secs
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »
Couldn't think what thread to raise this, but it is Birmingham & was industrial so.....  (mods, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread if necessary).

The Pelican Works on Great Hampton Street has been put on the 'Most At Risk of Ruin' list -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49675826

A great landmark, I hope that something can be done for it.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2019, 02:36:59 PM »
Judith

Sadly I don't think anything will be done about the Pelican building, like so many other buildings that are listed the owners cannot afford the expense of keeping them up to the required standard. There have been West Midlands buildings listed on the Victorian Societies "At Risk" lists every year for the last 10 years and I can't think of any that have been put right yet.

https://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/news/victorian-society-top-10-most-endangered-buildings-2019

To name 2 that I don't even think are on the list, The Golden Lion Cannon Hill Park, and Great Barr Hall, Great Barr. The way these two buildings have been allowed to deteriorate is disgusting.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2019, 01:22:46 PM »
Judith

Sadly I don't think anything will be done about the Pelican building, like so many other buildings that are listed the owners cannot afford the expense of keeping them up to the required standard. There have been West Midlands buildings listed on the Victorian Societies "At Risk" lists every year for the last 10 years and I can't think of any that have been put right yet.

https://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/news/victorian-society-top-10-most-endangered-buildings-2019

To name 2 that I don't even think are on the list, The Golden Lion Cannon Hill Park, and Great Barr Hall, Great Barr. The way these two buildings have been allowed to deteriorate is disgusting.
It is shocking that they are allowed to decay.  They always use the excuse that something is to costly to renovate once it has got into such a bad state, but there doesn't seem to be a body that makes sure buildings aren't allowed to get into that state in the first place.

The Golden Lion is a great example, so many times people have attempted to raise money towards repairs only to be fobbed off with excuses & the money presumably spent on something else.

I was reading something yesterday about the state of so many buildings in the Birmingham areas yesterday & it made me very cross -

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/ten-birmingham-buildings-danger-being-16827886

A lot of them are these bigger industrial buildings, although there are cinemas & other buildings too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy