Author Topic: Industrial Birmingham  (Read 38633 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Industrial Birmingham
« Reply #209 on: October 02, 2019, 04:26:08 AM »
When I lived in a Lyndhurst Estate Tower Block 1959-72 it wasn't CAR wheels that were the issue. :-[
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #210 on: October 03, 2019, 05:55:02 PM »
Skinny v wide - I sense many Threaders are still sceptical re my postulation wide wheels grip no better than skinny - no problem, scepticism is an essential milestone on our journey to the truth, but to round matters up I thought I would record, as accurately as I can, the actual lab experiment on my Erdington Tech Engineering Course all those years ago (1965-66) it's gonna take me a bit of time to search the dark crevices of my mind but in the mean time I'm delighted to report Mrs M's interest in the project remains as strong as ever.......

Peg Monkey

« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2019, 10:54:50 AM »
Skinny v wide: we can't let the clock hinder the progress of science, right?....

Peg Monkey

« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2019, 05:29:51 PM »
Skinny v wide - The continuing saga that has gripped(?) the nation: the credability of a research project hinges on reliable supporting data gathered from all sectors of society embracing all environments.......
P.S. Anybody that knows Pitsford St (Hockley) will wonder why is wasn't called Pitsford Hill. :-\

Peg Monkey

« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »
OK folks, a pub quiz style question is long overdue, right? What does 'S' stand for in Mini Cooper S? (original model, not the new one) Feel free to search the web far and wide - many have tried to answer, many have failed.
Hint: Top Gear Presenter Richard Hammond got it wrong. :-\
Peg.

JudithM

« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2019, 12:51:34 PM »
OK folks, a pub quiz style question is long overdue, right? What does 'S' stand for in Mini Cooper S? (original model, not the new one) Feel free to search the web far and wide - many have tried to answer, many have failed.
Hint: Top Gear Presenter Richard Hammond got it wrong. :-\
Peg.
I thought it stood for Sports - someone at work has one & that's what they say too.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
Back in the 60's I was told that the S on the original Cooper didn't stand for anything, and it was added by the designer (John Cooper ?)just to make it sound Special.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2019, 04:17:13 PM »
How about SPEED .Peg. Hammond didn't like it,it caused him a lot of trouble. :idiot2: :idiot2:
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »
Skinny v wide - I sense many Threaders are still sceptical re my postulation wide wheels grip no better than skinny - no problem, scepticism is an essential milestone on our journey to the truth, but to round matters up I thought I would record, as accurately as I can, the actual lab experiment on my Erdington Tech Engineering Course all those years ago (1965-66) it's gonna take me a bit of time to search the dark crevices of my mind but in the mean time I'm delighted to report Mrs M's interest in the project remains as strong as ever.......
As promised attached is the set-up for the actual experiment I undertook some 53 years ago. Seems straight forward, right? Not quite - there are in fact 2 values for the coefficient of friction of materials: static and kinetic. the static value is higher because the effort to get a load from rest to moving is higher than that needed to keep the load moving, all my references relate to kinetic.
The result was 0.2 for wood on wood, in simple terms the effort needed to drag the wood was 20% of the weight. Rubber gives a much higher value and can approach 0.9, car tyres are around 0.7+.
So does any of this affect our everyday lives? Well, I wonder if Scott of the Antarctic carried out such a calculation to detemine the maximum load his ponies could pull on their sledges?
I know what youi are thinking: But Scott didn't make it.
True, not the best example, perhaps. :-[
Peg. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2019, 04:27:25 PM »
How about SPEED .Peg. Hammond didn't like it,it caused him a lot of trouble. :idiot2: :idiot2:
Hi Ed, what was his problem?
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #219 on: October 08, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »
Couldn't control the cars at Speed .nearly killed himself twice.Supposed to have been a good driver.A lot of supposed good drivers have died.Werent very good tho were they.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy