Author Topic: Industrial Birmingham  (Read 38652 times)

Spud

Re: Industrial Birmingham
« Reply #231 on: November 16, 2019, 05:31:56 PM »
Formula 1 wheels are usually made using Magnesium I have seen them being made using the Sand Casting Method this was in a company in Kent which I used when I was at work. Magnesium is of course inflammable.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Peg Monkey

« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »
Day 1 at the apprentice school - we were told we needed to purchase a toolkit, the cost £4, a week's wages!.....
Peg.   
Searching through my toolbox recently I came across another item that I purchased shortly after starting my Birfield Apprenticeship in 1965 with Salisbury Transmission Ltd, an adjustable setsquare, which I purchased from The Midland Educational shop, great store, now long gone.
The item still performs as well as it did on the day I purchased it, but is clearly out of fashion - it was mainly used on drawing boards with just a vertical motion rule.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »

Peg, I don't think you were given entirely the correct information. I think you can fit an inner-tube into a tubeless tyre, in fact I have done it myself. However you have to make sure that inside the tyre and rim, there is nothing to puncture the tube (like a rough surface or pressure sensor) and also be aware that, in the case of a puncture, tubed tyres can deflate much more rapidly than tubeless. I used to carry a spare tube  and tyre levers with me when travelling abroad, just in case I could not locate a spare tyre.
Thanks, Ian-I'm going to check this remedy our further, I've decided against the aerosol can, they're intended for a flat tyre, I'm worried the rubber-based solvent could block the valve and make a bad situation even worse.
Peg. 

mw0njm

« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2019, 06:54:48 PM »
Formula 1 wheels are usually made using Magnesium I have seen them being made using the Sand Casting Method this was in a company in Kent which I used when I was at work. Magnesium is of course inflammable.
my da worked in a factory/foundry, bromford lane erdington,making cosmos mag alloy wheels. that magnesium was horrible stuff. after casting they went away to be heat treated to harden them.

mw0njm

« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2019, 07:01:55 PM »
Thanks, Ian-I'm going to check this remedy our further, I've decided against the aerosol can, they're intended for a flat tyre, I'm worried the rubber-based solvent could block the valve and make a bad situation even worse.
Peg.
i used that stuff once peg and it wrecked the tyre and valve,plus i had to pay to get it off the rim,before they fitted the new tyre. that turned out a very expensive puncture

Peg Monkey

« Reply #236 on: December 18, 2019, 01:29:56 PM »
Something unforgetable happened to me in the summer of 1992, apparently I (and a number of workmates) were not being made redundant, we were being invited to find another job.
I can remember the exact words as if it was yesterday.........
Peg.
P.S. Somethings stay in our memory for the wrong reason.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »
Have you ever huddled? I first encountered it at the Co-Op, (its origins stem from the American Football practice of the team getting together briefly to decide on a move), usually undertaken at the beginning of the working day and lasting only a minute or two, not only is it a good way of quickly passing on management instructions but also picking up good ideas from staff.
Peg. 

Scipio

« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2019, 08:36:31 PM »
Have you ever huddled? I first encountered it at the Co-Op, (its origins stem from the American Football practice of the team getting together briefly to decide on a move), usually undertaken at the beginning of the working day and lasting only a minute or two, not only is it a good way of quickly passing on management instructions but also picking up good ideas from staff.
Peg.

Peg don't you think we're rather more adult than doing all this huddling , hi fiving and hi guys . All of which comes from across the pond , I watched and listened at work staggered by adults and adults hi fiving ,  then we hear hi guys, .Then after work nobody has got a good word to say about anybody at work,think we ought stop copying what Uncle Sam's citizens are doing and behave like grown up people . I used to think people hi fiving etc needed treatment .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #239 on: December 19, 2019, 10:33:00 PM »

Peg don't you think we're rather more adult than doing all this huddling , ......
All I know for sure, Sci, is when I was an apprentice at Salisbury Transmission, in the 60s, I tried to huddle with a cute leggy American blonde, who wore the shortest mini skirts in the universe, but she didn't want to know. Ah well! That's life! :-[
Peg.
P.S. If Mrs Monkey finds out I'll have to deny everything.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2019, 05:33:13 PM »
Any one purchased an electric car or planning to? I've got a few questions I need answering before I consider taking the plunge. :-\
Peg.
P.S. However cheap an electric car is to run, one thing is for sure, it wont be passed on to us!  :-[

Peg Monkey

« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2019, 07:46:19 PM »
Electric cars, stated government policy: No more petrol/diesel cars manufactured after 2040, no petrol/diesel cars on the road after 2050: I doubt I'll make the first key date and almost certain not the latter. :-[
Peg.
P.S. Not sure if any proposals have been released for commercial vehicles.
P.P.S. Depends, of course, who's in government at the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy