Author Topic: M.E.B.14,Dale End----Cafe to the rear---Lewis?  (Read 237 times)

Keith c mace.

M.E.B.14,Dale End----Cafe to the rear---Lewis?
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:14:57 AM »
In the late fifties I worked at the MEB in Dale End..Used to buy lovely sandwiches with fresh crusty bread from a little café at the rear---MAY have been called "Lewis"....Usually served by a very pretty redhead with beautiful fair complexion.....Anyone remember?   KC.

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: M.E.B.14,Dale End----Cafe to the rear---Lewis?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »
Hi Keith

Taking it that you mean either Moor Street or Albert Street to the rear of Dale End I have taken a look in the trade directory's and the nearest café I can find is The Express Café but that is nearly down by the Bull Ring. I suppose at a push it could have been Ledo's café on the corner of Bartholomew Row, but  when I worked at a factory a couple of doors away in the 60's we would never use it because the food was so awful. If you can give me some more details I might be able to track it down for you.
Make Love Not War

Keith c mace.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »

Thank you for responding..I can't be certain which road the café was in but it was very close to the rear of the MEB...KC.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
Keith

In response to your suggestion by PM, here is an extract from an OS map of the area in question it might be a little early being as it is 1950 but I don't think much started changing until the late 50's so you might be able to recognise the site of the café.
Make Love Not War

Keith c mace.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 06:10:57 PM »
Thank you for posting the map....It shows the offices clearly...But I'm struggling to decide which street the café was on!..Leaving the MEB by the rear I crossed the road and travelled to the right a short distance to the shop on the left..So I'm unable to decide which road it was on...Thank you for your help...KC.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
Keith that's why I said it could be equally Albert Street or Moor Street. Do you know if this café was a long standing business because unfortunately there is a gap in my collection of directory's between 1956 & 1962 which makes it pretty hard to check out details for the end of the fifties.

Sorry if I can't be of more help, but Mikejee might be able to give a more finite answer as he has other resources, though I know he is pretty well tied up until toward the end of the week, but perhaps he might be able to assist later.
Make Love Not War

Keith c mace.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
Yes,could be either! I worked at the MEB from 1958 until about 1961....Many thanks,KC.

mikejee

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
The 1958 and 1961 Kelly show Sodazone at no 17 #albert St, described as a milk bar in 1958  and a restaurant in 1961. that seems to fit the bill[/size]

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
Hi Mike that would put it on the same side of the road as the rear of the MEB, Keith says "Leaving the MEB by the rear I crossed the road". Was there nothing on the other side of Albert Street? I can remember the Sally Army Dining Rooms for the down and outs, but I doubt it was there.
Make Love Not War

Keith c mace.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »

Thanks for the answer...I'm sure that it on the other side of the road...The name"lewis" seems to be in my memory---But at 74 cannot rely on it ha ha...KC.