Author Topic: M.E.B.14,Dale End----Cafe to the rear---Lewis?  (Read 3103 times)

Keith c mace.

M.E.B.14,Dale End----Cafe to the rear---Lewis?
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:14:57 AM »
In the late fifties I worked at the MEB in Dale End..Used to buy lovely sandwiches with fresh crusty bread from a little café at the rear---MAY have been called "Lewis"....Usually served by a very pretty redhead with beautiful fair complexion.....Anyone remember?   KC.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: M.E.B.14,Dale End----Cafe to the rear---Lewis?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »
Hi Keith

Taking it that you mean either Moor Street or Albert Street to the rear of Dale End I have taken a look in the trade directory's and the nearest café I can find is The Express Café but that is nearly down by the Bull Ring. I suppose at a push it could have been Ledo's café on the corner of Bartholomew Row, but  when I worked at a factory a couple of doors away in the 60's we would never use it because the food was so awful. If you can give me some more details I might be able to track it down for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »

Thank you for responding..I can't be certain which road the café was in but it was very close to the rear of the MEB...KC.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
Keith

In response to your suggestion by PM, here is an extract from an OS map of the area in question it might be a little early being as it is 1950 but I don't think much started changing until the late 50's so you might be able to recognise the site of the café.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 06:10:57 PM »
Thank you for posting the map....It shows the offices clearly...But I'm struggling to decide which street the café was on!..Leaving the MEB by the rear I crossed the road and travelled to the right a short distance to the shop on the left..So I'm unable to decide which road it was on...Thank you for your help...KC.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
Keith that's why I said it could be equally Albert Street or Moor Street. Do you know if this café was a long standing business because unfortunately there is a gap in my collection of directory's between 1956 & 1962 which makes it pretty hard to check out details for the end of the fifties.

Sorry if I can't be of more help, but Mikejee might be able to give a more finite answer as he has other resources, though I know he is pretty well tied up until toward the end of the week, but perhaps he might be able to assist later.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
Yes,could be either! I worked at the MEB from 1958 until about 1961....Many thanks,KC.

mikejee

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
The 1958 and 1961 Kelly show Sodazone at no 17 #albert St, described as a milk bar in 1958  and a restaurant in 1961. that seems to fit the bill[/size]

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
Hi Mike that would put it on the same side of the road as the rear of the MEB, Keith says "Leaving the MEB by the rear I crossed the road". Was there nothing on the other side of Albert Street? I can remember the Sally Army Dining Rooms for the down and outs, but I doubt it was there.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »

Thanks for the answer...I'm sure that it on the other side of the road...The name"lewis" seems to be in my memory---But at 74 cannot rely on it ha ha...KC.

Tonyh

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »
Hi Keith the cafe was called Elliott's when we worked overtime one of us would go and get the sandwiches which were really fresh and you could ask for the crust ends which they normally didn't use.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy