Author Topic: Burials.  (Read 5965 times)

Mogmeister

Re: Burials.
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 01:45:39 PM »
Hi Roz ,

I had the same problem , my grandparents on my mothers side were catholic , i searched the cemetary lists online but got nowhere , they lived around what is now Newtown . I went to the Central Library , to the family history section , explained to the guy on the desk what i was looking for , i had their death date , and this very helpful staff member sorted the spool for me to look at , it took a while but i found them , the document told me Handsworth Cemetary .A couple of days later i went to Handsworth cemetary  located the office , and had to fill in a short form , a member of staff went and checked ( took about five minutes ) and came back with the location of the grave .They give me a map and i went straight to the grave .( There was a notice saying the charge for a search was £10 , but i was not charged )

The only thing that you might have to be prepared for is no grave , just a location ,my grandparents  were buried in 1933 and 1934 , but because the grave was not looked after , all i had to see was a grass plot where the grave had been .

Good Luck

Mog .

roz

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »
Hi Mog,We are all Catholics for our sins.I have just emailed Handsworth and all the others,I had replys from two of them so far with no luck.Problem is I'm down in Essex so bit of a trek for me but he ho.Its something I will have to do in the end to go to the library.Unless there are people on here that do look ups for you.I researched all my Dads family online with the help of the Manchester forum and then went on a visit when I had all the graves and history etc etc It was great to do.My brothers grave is the last link.Thanks for the info.Roz
Hi Roz ,

I had the same problem , my grandparents on my mothers side were catholic , i searched the cemetary lists online but got nowhere , they lived around what is now Newtown . I went to the Central Library , to the family history section , explained to the guy on the desk what i was looking for , i had their death date , and this very helpful staff member sorted the spool for me to look at , it took a while but i found them , the document told me Handsworth Cemetary .A couple of days later i went to Handsworth cemetary  located the office , and had to fill in a short form , a member of staff went and checked ( took about five minutes ) and came back with the location of the grave .They give me a map and i went straight to the grave .( There was a notice saying the charge for a search was £10 , but i was not charged )

The only thing that you might have to be prepared for is no grave , just a location ,my grandparents  were buried in 1933 and 1934 , but because the grave was not looked after , all i had to see was a grass plot where the grave had been .

Good Luck

Mog .

roz

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »
I have a feeling he is in Handsworth,don't ask me why but I just feel he is.
Hi Roz ,

Good Luck

Mog .

Mogmeister

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »
Hi Roz ,

Will you let me know how you get on with Handsworth , if no good , give me the details and i will do the look up for you .

Mog.

roz

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 01:56:33 AM »
Hi Mog,I will definitely let you know,I have emailed all the cemetaries but I will phone if I don't hear back tomorrow.Jack was my elder brother I was born in 1947.I'm in Birmingham for the Phil Collins concert in December so it would be good to find out before I get there and visit his resting place even if its just a piece of grass.Thank you so much.Roz.quote author=Mogmeister link=topic=14320.msg598623#msg598623 date=1502382086]
Hi Roz ,

Will you let me know how you get on with Handsworth , if no good , give me the details and i will do the look up for you .

Mog.

astoness

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:24 AM »
hi roz for some reason handsworth is beckoning me as well...it really only leaves there and yardley now...

lyn

roz

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
Hi Lyn,I'm calling them both now.Will let you all know in a while.Thankyou all for your help.Roz
hi roz for some reason handsworth is beckoning me as well...it really only leaves there and yardley now...

lyn

roz

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
Handsworth will be back to me on Monday.He's not in Yardley.Pressing on.Roz
Hi Lyn,I'm calling them both now.Will let you all know in a while.Thankyou all for your help.Roz

roz

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
Hi,I have now tried them all.Handsworth got back to me yesterday so apparently he's not in there and that one was my last hope.Where to next.Roz
Hi Mog,I will definitely let you know,I have emailed all the cemetaries but I will phone if I don't hear back tomorrow.Jack was my elder brother I was born in 1947.I'm in Birmingham for the Phil Collins concert in December so it would be good to find out before I get there and visit his resting place even if its just a piece of grass.Thank you so much.Roz.quote author=Mogmeister link=topic=14320.msg598623#msg598623 date=1502382086]
Hi Roz ,

Mog.

roz

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 08:29:52 AM »
Hi Lyn,I have tried them all now and they are all saying he's not there.But he must be somewhere.Handsworth was my last hope.Roz

lyn

roz

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
I had an email from one of these lovely people with suggestions,the NAFD no good and also the nearest church which was in Old Oscott Hill,I'm guessing the funeral was from there.The lovely lady Jo is getting back to me on Thursday.I'm now exhausted with making my brain work.Let me know if you will be going to the library at anytime to do a look up.I bet you get a lot of requests.Thanks Roz
Hi Roz ,

Mog.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy