Author Topic: Refuse collectors work to rule  (Read 5905 times)

linwaisee

Re7: Refuse collectors work to rule
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »
No, I don't know all of the people personally and probably neither do you. Even if you know them by association, do you know them sufficiently to know how they tick? I was forced into the union when I was a management trainee. I became a full member, not just a card holder of the T G W U. Allen Law would remember me well, both as a member and as a manager that he had to negotiate with. But I do know that 10 members turning up at the monthly meeting could vote to.put 1000 workers on strike. Simply because they wanted a strike.Does that seem sensible to you?

townie

Re: Refuse collectors work to rule
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »
linwasisee How right you are. minority is sometimes the majority. There was a women on the tele tonight ( sack the lot of them there are plenty who will fill their boots)
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 07:22:25 PM »
i do not think that you can call the bin me lazy they do the job that they are paid to do over the years there job has changed and they have move on with the change but at the end of the day they are working men who have family's to feed and homes to pay for they are human beings and all they are trying to do is keep the jobs and the pay that most have done for a long time I note that some of the top bobs on the council get in excess of £100.000 per year  would they give up there pay would they go out on the streets doing the job by the way I new Allan law well we had cross words a few times I was a full paid up member of tg and labour party member but that's a different matter and a different time we are talking about to day and I think the bin men have got a good point and they had an agreement with the council so the ben men went back to work then low and behold the powers that be made the council leader change his mind  do not look at the smoke look at the fire the council and the cuts they are trying to make are causing the problem  not the bin men they are just working men who are being made to pay the price 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Re7: Refuse collectors work to rule
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »
No, I don't know all of the people personally and probably neither do you. Even if you know them by association, do you know them sufficiently to know how they tick? I was forced into the union when I was a management trainee. I became a full member, not just a card holder of the T G W U. Allen Law would remember me well, both as a member and as a manager that he had to negotiate with. But I do know that 10 members turning up at the monthly meeting could vote to.put 1000 workers on strike. Simply because they wanted a strike.Does that seem sensible to you?

Linwaisee

I would agree that due the the apathy of most British workers that the wrong element was able to gain control of some unions in the 60's & 70's, but those same apathetic workers were still willing to accept any advances won by threat industrial action.

I always thought that before an all out strike could be called that the members of the union concerned had to be balloted and 10 members voting to strike wouldn't be enough to bring a 1000 members out. There again having my own company for nearly all my own working life I was never in a union so I don't really know.

Even if I did work in close alliance with a lot of the people that work for Birmingham City Council Waste Disposal Department both at shop floor and management level. One thing I did learn in business was to never make assumptions, and I wouldn't have a clue about the industrial action being taken now except for what I am told by acquaintances and what I read in the newspapers. Where do you get your information from?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »
The Bin men are paid to do what they are paid to do. The management are paid to do what they do that's why there in that position.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Potomac

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 09:53:22 PM »
This is a BBC report on the issues.  I cannot guarantee its accuracy but it does have a balanced view I believe.  You will always get knee jerk reactions from people on tv or radio interviews - they often play to the gallery.  Many are totally unaware of the true facts, often only what they have read on social media.  There is no mention of laziness in the BBC report - I don't think they are lazy, certainly those who call at my home, whilst not in Birmingham, certainly work hard.  Nor has this dispute anything to do with Brexit.   Brexit has become a 'who shot John?' topic.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-40668249
best wishes,  Alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »

This is a BBC report on the issues.  I cannot guarantee its accuracy but it does have a balanced view I believe.  You will always get knee jerk reactions from people on tv or radio interviews - they often play to the gallery.  Many are totally unaware of the true facts, often only what they have read on social media.  There is no mention of laziness in the BBC report - I don't think they are lazy, certainly those who call at my home, whilst not in Birmingham, certainly work hard.  Nor has this dispute anything to do with Brexit.   Brexit has become a 'who shot John?' topic.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-40668249

has I said in this post

I think the bin men have got a good point and they had an agreement with the council so the ben men went back to work then low and behold the powers that be made the council leader change his mind  do not look at the smoke look at the fire the council and the cuts they are trying to make are causing the problem  not the bin men they are just working men who are being made to pay the price 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »
Leaked email shows city council leader John Clancy 'misled public over bins strike deal' In response cllr Clancy accused Ms Manzie and officials of failing to be pragmatic in trying to end the dispute and offering unrealistic advice. He also tried to bypass the management by telling depot managers in a leaked email that ‘all terms of the compromise will be implemented’.
Despite these exchanges in the background, Clancy told the Birmingham Mail last week that there was no deal with Unite and accused the union of wilfully misrepresenting what was only an agreement in principle.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy