Author Topic: Bloomsbury Street and Witton Road  (Read 2998 times)

lindsay17

Bloomsbury Street and Witton Road
« on: August 04, 2017, 10:39:39 PM »
Following on from my Gooch Street post a couple of weeks ago I have now traced my 2x Gt Grandfather to 6 Witton Road (where I think he worked at Six Ways Post Office until 1883) around 1882 - 7, then he seems to have moved to a smaller house 1 Lime Terrace, Witton Road by May 1887, then in a libel case in 1888 he is shown as living at either 16 or 18 Beale Street. He then was bankrupt in 1889 residing and running Nelson Inn Barford Street and then residing and running the Aston Brook Tavern, Powell Street. Then by January 1890 he was at 209 Bloomsbury Street which is the address on the burial record for his young daughter.

I feel for his poor wife, upsticking so many times with seven children by 1890 ! Any photo's of these streets would be wonderful, I am also puzzled by the Bloomsbury street address as on the 1911 census number 209 doesn't seem to exist, I wondered if its actually a court address or perhaps this building had gone by 1911?

Things did get better for him after that, he lived in Redditch during the 1890's then was the publican at the Fox, Little Cornbow, Halesowen for a couple of years before settling at Gooch Street from 1902 until his death in 1933.

Any help much appreciated,
Becky

Edmund Fifield

Re: Bloomsbury Street and Witton Road
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 11:15:55 PM »
I went to Bloomsbury st school up to 1949 my gran lived in Goodrick st No38 if you want photos ask Phil
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mikejee

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »
The 1910 Kellys (which would refer to 1909 gives no 209 and a beer retailer (either a beerhouse or an off-licence) run by josiah Stanley. the 1912 edition (which would refer to 1911) does not list it. So (considering your census details), either property has been demolished or is now somewhere in which no-one lives

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
Hi Lindsay

209 Bloomsbury Street was on the junction of Cranbury Street that in the time you are interested in was called Smith Street. It was listed as a beer retailer in the name of Herbert Smith. It later became a fully licenced public house known as the Brewery Tavern.

Unfortunately I am unable to say if this is the same building that stood on the site in 1890, if so it would have been pretty new then. I will take a look at the other addresses a little later and see what I can find.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:43:26 PM »
Lindsay

Six ways post office at 1 Alma Street around the time your GG grandfather would have worked there, and across the road (see map) was number 6 Witton Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »
This is Powell Street Aston in the 60's. I cannot find an Aston Brook Tavern. The building number 23 (garage) on the left in your GG grandfathers time was a beer retailer registered to a Alexander William Whiteway or possibly a Whiteway William Alexander. and the other beer retailer was a few doors down on the left at No 17 a William Frederick Bryan.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:53:12 PM »
Sorry unable to find an image of Lime Terrace the best I can do is show the roads at each end of the terrace. In the colour photo c1960 we are looking down Witton Rd across Trinity Road and the entrance to Lime terrace would be just up a little on the right. The b & w photo c1900 would be looking down Trinity Road across Witton Rd and the exit of Laurel Terrace would be on the left and as you can see from the map Laurel Terrace also led to Lime Terrace.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »
This from the birmingham post in 1918 reads that the Aston Brook Tavern was on the corner of Powell St and Thomas St. this would make it no 23 Powell St

frederick

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 10:57:25 AM »
Phil,
The photo of Wilton rd you almost had our premises in Albert rd in the frame it would have been just up a bit in your photo.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

lindsay17

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:14:09 PM »
Mikejee and Phil you are brilliant !Thank you so much.

Turns out that my 2x Gt Grandfather had left the Post Office when he moved to 6 Witton Road, he opened a tobacconists ship at 8a Witton Road according to Kelly's, he was also an emigration agent and then added beer selling before running pubs. He was William Whiteway Alexander so 23 Powell Street is correct, thank you.
In 1888 he was in a libel case which states he was living at 16 Beale Street, a tobacconist.

He was declared bankrupt in 1889 and another beerhouse was mentioned in the Notice, the Nelson Inn at Barford Street, the sun insurance map shows a PH at no 54.

I have now also traced him to the Fox and Goose in Redditch in the early 1890's, the Plough Inn, Minworth in 1896  and there is an article also connecting him to the [censored] (rhymes with lock) Inn, Rubery in 1900 charged with allowing drunkenness and then the Fox Inn, Cornbow in Halesowen in 1901. He also seems to have been connected with pubs at 72 and 196 Sherlock street which I think were The Sportsman and The Stanley Arms around 1899 - 1903.

I should have guessed that the Bloomsbury Street address was also beer related. He came into some money in 1902 which is when he settled at the 176 Gooch Street Post Office although possibly retaining his beer selling interests a little longer.

Pete53

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 06:22:50 PM »
Following on from my Gooch Street post a couple of weeks ago I have now traced my 2x Gt Grandfather to 6 Witton Road (where I think he worked at Six Ways Post Office until 1883) around 1882 - 7, then he seems to have moved to a smaller house 1 Lime Terrace, Witton Road by May 1887, then in a libel case in 1888 he is shown as living at either 16 or 18 Beale Street. He then was bankrupt in 1889 residing and running Nelson Inn Barford Street and then residing and running the Aston Brook Tavern, Powell Street. Then by January 1890 he was at 209 Bloomsbury Street which is the address on the burial record for his young daughter.

I feel for his poor wife, upsticking so many times with seven children by 1890 ! Any photo's of these streets would be wonderful, I am also puzzled by the Bloomsbury street address as on the 1911 census number 209 doesn't seem to exist, I wondered if its actually a court address or perhaps this building had gone by 1911?

Things did get better for him after that, he lived in Redditch during the 1890's then was the publican at the Fox, Little Cornbow, Halesowen for a couple of years before settling at Gooch Street from 1902 until his death in 1933.

Any help much appreciated,
Becky

Hi. Not that it’s much help but I lived at 1 Lime Terrace from 1958 - 61 with my parents and 2 sisters. Prior to us moving in my great grandmother lived there so I was told.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy